1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Southern Miss Football: Defensive coordinator fighting cancer reoccurrence

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bill Horton, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071009/SPORTS030104/710090347/1097/SPORTS

I post this not to provoke any cute responses but to remind everyone of you guys and gals to be checking everything you can check personally, be it testicals, breasts, etc. For the other things, it's time to start going for yearly exams.
    You guys and gals in your 20s think your impervious to this stuff and you're going to live forever but the USM coordinator was a pretty young fella when this happened to him the first time.
    Don't take this for granted. I did and it almost killed me.
    Be smart!

OK, lecture's over.

(Moddy, if you think this is better on the everything else board, or even the journalism board, move it wherever you see fit).

2. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Treatment for testicular cancers has made great strides in the past 20 years with survival and cure rates approaching 95 percent. High profile pateins like Lance Armstrong give us the perception that cancer can be cured if caught early. While that is especially true in testicular cancer, we should be reminded that a 95% survival rates means nothing to those 1 out of 20 who die from the disease.

Statistics guide treatment protocols in many diseases, but for the individual, the answer is much more black and white.

3. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

this is not to be cute or anything, but guys ... let's admit it, we spend a lot of time scratching down there anyway. One of the things that makes testicular cancer easier to spot and fight is that it's more likely to be found by self-examination than some cancers.

Draft saved Draft deleted