1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Southern Illinois' Daily Egyptian ices reader comments

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ServeItUp, Apr 27, 2009.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Requiring registration for commenting on a newspaper site doesn't stop anonymous posting. You can list a name on your post, but by no means must it be your name.

All you need is a valid e-mail. You can register a yahoo or gmail account, then register yourself as Susan Boyle at any newspaper site you want.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There was a Kentucky state legislator a year or two ago who wanted to require all blogs to verify IDs and enforce real-name-only for commenters.

3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I know. That's why comments are still there. That and the fact most of the publishers don't give a shit about sports and don't read the trash written under the stories. I've seen racist comments, sexist comments, direct threats to the reporter who wrote the story, direct insults to the subject of the story. Cuss words.
    Newspapers something the family can read? Not on the internet.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Refresh my memory: Do we, or do we not, require people sign their actual names when submitting letters to the editor? Do we, or do we not, take steps to actually verify the person is who they say they are before printing it?

But the same standard on the Internet shouldn't apply?

Interesting theory.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Bing, bing, bing.

I've found the people who spout the most about "free speech" have no fucking clue what they are talking about. Why is that, I wonder?

6. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Amen brother....

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Let's make this perfectly clear:

No one ever argued that closing newspaper message boards was a violation of free speech.

Several people argued that anonymous speech "should not be allowed."

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

As an alumnus of SIU and the DE, I'm feeling extra proud today.

10. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

Apparently, we publish some of our online reader comments in the print edition.

My SE pointed out how dumb that was -- having letters to the editor that have been checked and verified and then on the next page having anonymous reader comments.

Seems rather contradictory. Does anyone else's paper do this?

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Again, when letters to the editors are checked for "accuracy," what exactly is done? Do you call the number given and ask if the name given is there? Boy, that's foolproof.

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Our newspaper makes sure somebody at the residence claiming to be the author answers the fucking phone and confirms it's them. The newspaper has never had any problems authenticating or being accused of getting authentication wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted