1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Southeast Copy Editors

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by HailSouthern, Jun 22, 2009.

1. HailSouthern

HailSouthern New Member

Anybody know anything about this?

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1065111

Company: Daily Newspaper
    Position: Experienced copy editor/page designers
    Job Status: Not Specified
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: July 27, 2009
    Job ID: 1065111

Description:
    Regional newspaper group in Southeast is planning to hire several experienced copy editor/page designers during the next two months for expanding universal desk. These demanding positions involve editing local and wire copy; designing news, features and sports pages; proofing all sections of the newspaper and writing headlines. Quart mastery essential; InDesign experience helpful. One to two years of daily newspaper experience preferred. You must be able to work nights, weekends and holidays. Send cover letter, resume and and links to 8-10 of your best design samples.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

and and...........
    obviously they need more copy editors since nobody edited the job ad.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I've mastered Pints. Working my way up to Quarts.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

This sounds suspiciously like Gannett Louisiana.

5. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

6. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

In other words ... release the hounds??? :D

7. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

I'm glad someone had an idea on where this might be. I love the South for the most part, and it looks like they need a lot of help on the editing end of things. I'm obviously a newbie, but I was wondering.... is Gannett Louisiana a bad thing or a good thing?

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Now release the hounds.

9. Twinkilling

Twinkilling Guest

Forgive BYUguy. His comments are along the lines of those I hear in Utah on a weekly basis.
    Sample conversation snippet I've overheard:
    "I didn't know black people lived in Salt Lake." -- from an actual human.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

To answer your question, it depends on your POV. I suppose given the current state of the business and the economy, a job is a job is a job, and I imagine the pay and the benes will be OK (not great, but OK).

On the other hand, the universal desk GL is supposed to be setting up is in Monroe, and while Monroe isn't quite in the middle of nowhere, you can see it from the interstate. Also Gannett is probably the most widely-reviled media chain in the country, for reasons too numerous to go into here. And, finally, this whole universal desk idea for a group of papers smacks of corporate penny-pinching that does not bode well for the future of the industry and those who make a living in it.

For those reasons, I would be very wary if this is in fact a Gannett Louisiana posting.

11. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

Twinkilling: not knowing that black people exist is much worse than what I asked. I figured since it was Gannett, it couldn't be a good thing, but figured I'd ask to make sure. Quit being so judgmental. There are idiots everywhere in this great country of ours, and just because I am from Utah doesn't mean I'm one of them.

albert: thanks for the info. It was what I thought you'd say, but I thought i'd ask anyway.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Have they implented this regional copy desk yet or is still in the planning stages? I would be interested to hear from people who are working on it.

Draft saved Draft deleted