1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

South Dakota authorizes teachers to pack heat

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 13, 2013.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Because the way to solve a teacher with a gun, who might fly off the handle is to give the students guns too...

2. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Just because someone has a mental illness doesn't mean they are going to kill someone. My mom has had depression for 25 years, she takes medication for it and she has never killed anyone. Hell, I take medication for anxiety and depression, I've never killed anyone and don't plan on it.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The Poin Files are going to start to get really good. 9 1/2 Weeks meets Die Hard.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm in favor of having armed police officers in schools... Teachers? Fuck no... I had a science teacher in high school who if he had a gun in his room would have shot himself or one of the kids on any given day... Between that and a student getting the gun, it just seems like a bad idea.

It's probably only a matter of time until this turns into a real-life version of Pearl Jam's Jeremy video...

One of the private schools near where I live is likely to have an armed former police officer at the high school, but he's going to be carrying a stun gun and the gun will either have rubber bullets or something like that...

I hate guns. I would never allow one in my house but I'm in favor of anything that protects my kids... An armed, trained security guard, former or current cop does that... Arming teachers just scares the shit out of me...

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

One of the funnier things that came out of this was that a Democratic representative here in Oklahoma tried to attach an amendment to the bill in the House here that would have allowed parents in districts that allowed arm teachers to get a voucher to send their kid to a private school. Put the GOP reps in the position of voting against expanding vouchers, something they love, or letting something get attached to their bill that they didn't want on it. I can't remember how the vote turned out, but thought it was cool of the Democrat to try.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I await the reports of how all the states with concealed-carry have turned into the Wild West. Of course, I've been waiting a really, really long time for those reports. When do you suppose they'll be coming in?

7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I think there's more of a chance that something bad happens with these laws than a teacher ends up taking out a shooter. That said, I think the odds of both are pretty damn low. These laws do nothing to address any underlying issues and are completely unnecessary. They only provide a false sense of security to some constituents. And I'd say the same is true of some gun control measures.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

An example of how this might play out:

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Great point.

Draft saved Draft deleted