1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

South Carolina Primary Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I loved the $10 million bailout from the FDIC even more. Free market, let the weak fail, yadda, yadda, yadda, except when my butt is on the line.

2. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

There are three big things helping Romney in South Carolina:

1. His competition being so divided. There are still four anti-Romney candidates to divide the anti-Romney vote.
    2. His competition being so inept, saddled with baggage and/or lacking the resources to seriously challenge him
    3. The media and the GOP establishment constantly bleating that Romney is very likely to win, thereby perpetuating the "inevitability narrative" and discouraging voters from getting behind someone other than Romney.

Nikki Haley would be an interesting VP choice, though South Carolina is bound to go for the GOP nominee anyway. Picking someone from a swing state - such as Marco Rubio from Florida or Brian Sandoval from Nevada, might be more advantageous for the ticket.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Bob McDonnell?

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I can't wait until the Washington Post joins the Times and rips Romney for these statements.

Oh, but I guess they probably won't, will they?

5. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

He'd be a solid if unexciting choice as well. Won't hurt the ticket, but probably won't get people much more excited about it either.

Romney needs to see what kind of position he's in compared to Obama come July or August, when he needs to make the VP choice. If conservatives have solidly gotten around him and he's poling well against Obama, he may go with a safe choice like McDonnell. If Romney is in the same position that McCain was in four years ago (lagging in polls, not exciting people, not rallying conservatives), he may have to make a bolder, riskier choice.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I just think Hailey is interesting, supported by Palin and the Tea Party crew, brother in the military, Indian heritage...I actually think she could help the GOP with female voters across the board in multiple states. She's conservative enough though not a bomb thrower. She's pro-life but not at the expense of the mother's life. She's ethnic, but married to a white guy. She's Sihk, but attends a Methodist church.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

She hasn't been CLOSE to throughly-vetted (and if anyone's serious about this trial balloon, they'd better be VERY thorough) . . . and she's VERY hard-right . . . and as noted, SC's already going to go red.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Romney is about as risk-averse as any pol that ever lived. His VP choice will be made accordingly. It'll be made with an eye on NOT being a Palin.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's a good point. Will have to be someone who's credible as a President and who has been vetted/around the block.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The next female GOP VP candidate won't be happening until 2044.

Cheers, Sarah.

There will be a woman prez before then, however.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

After the Palin disaster of 2008 and with Mitt already pulling away from the field, you can bet Mitt has sent out some plumbers to dig deep into the background of ANY VP possibility all the way back to pre-school. Whoever he picks as veep will not explode on him like the shit shower of Palin did on McCain.

A happy coincidence of this, for him, is that in the process, he'll probably uncover some nasty nasty shit about many if not all of his past, present and possible future rivals, and be able to tank them with strategic leaks. We will know this is happening when formerly-vehement anti-Mittsters suddenly turn into meek mild little lambs.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

So this will actually be evidence that those late-comers are (or were at one time) even more evil than thought? Who knew that something not happening proves that something else already has? Cool!

Draft saved Draft deleted