1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

South Carolina Primary Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Time to head south. Should be an interesting week.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Can I start the Secondary Thread?

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Above my pay grade. You will need to speak with the mods.

4. doodah

doodah Guest

I'm not big into politics, so I'm afraid I won't be chiming in.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you want to be a sports writer, you should get into politics, or at least be informed. You never know when an editor wants to switch you to news. In hindsight, I hated covering sports. Loved chatting with Congressmen, Senators, and candidates for governor.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

South Carolina (my native state): Too small as a republic, too big as an asylum.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Let's see if Romney can. Limb above that ever-elusive 40 percent of the vote.

8. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Rootin' for Ron

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Romney will pull out a win and it'll be game over before it really starts.

Gingrich should be the one to do well here, but Santorum and Perry will rob him of a lot of social conservative votes. Ron Paul will pull his customary 20-25 percent. Huntsman will be lucky to break double digits.

Besides, look at the polls covering why voters make choices. Electability is by far the No. 1 factor. These people would vote for O.J. Simpson if they thought he could beat Obama.

10. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Its a dead heat. The poll, an automated survey from InsiderAdvantage, was conducted on Wednesday and shows Mr. Romney with 23 percent of the vote, just 2 points ahead of Newt Gingrich at 21 percent. The poll has Rick Santorum and Ron Paul tied for third place at 13 percent, with Jon M. Huntsman Jr. having moved ahead of Rick Perry for fifth place.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/12/polls-show-gains-for-romney-but-not-in-south-carolina/

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If Mitt Romney wins in SC or Florida, he's got an almost insurrmountable lead. If someone else wins one or both of those states, it really is game on!!

I think Gingrich and Ron Paul could really do well in South Carolina and get back into the thick of the race. Both need to race some serious cash in order to keep up with Romney and the only way to do that is convince wealthy donors they have a realistic chance to win.

12. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Larry O'Donnell's right on MSNBC. Mitt's been hit in the jaw and he has no idea how to respond to the Bain Capital /Gordon Gekko charges. Newt may win this thing, and how can Williard compete against Barry O and the Chicago machine when he can't finish off a lackluster field of wanna bes in his own party? Let Santorum take the nomination and at least have a chance taking the Senate downballot, sometimes the cigar filled nomination rooms were a good thing in the old days

Draft saved Draft deleted