1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

South Bend Busy Work

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Jan 30, 2009.

1. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

At what point do you log "fix mistades made by co-worker for two hours," or something of the sort? While trying to make yourself look important, you've gone and thrown someone else to the wolves.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This just smacks of one of those management gimmicks that everyone will forget about in a couple of months, when, you know, people won't have time to fill out their logs, or editors won't have time to read them.

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

What is a "10 plan" ... (cringing, afraid of hearing the answer).

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Charlie Weis must be behind this plan. Dumbass.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

10 a.m. -- Worked smarter, not harder
    11 a.m. -- Did less with more

etc, etc, etc.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Had to do this at a paper several years ago... we were being "optimized" to see how efficent we were.
    Once the AME in charge of snooping sat down with me, I spent an hour on the phone returning calls...
    and yeah, someone put went to the bathroom, deficated, wiped on their reports...

7. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Exactly.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

We had a thread on this two or so years ago that prompted one of the funniest posts I've read on this board. Hopefully someone can resurrect it, because it was one sample day-in-the-life that was chronicled brilliantly.

All I remember -- and I just started laughing at the memory of it -- was the constant ogling of the new intern that featured the line "masturbated like a zoo monkey."

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I fix mistades made by others all the time.

It's one of my primary dooteys.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Oh . . . so the workday's now 6 1/2 hours, with the tail 1 1/2 hours to be devoted to this red tape?

Might not be the intent, but sure as hell should be the result.

11. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

I work in productivity improvement consulting. I help set up productivity reports and metrics -- mostly in financial services companies. This is one of the worst ways to track productivity I have ever seen.

I have never set up a productivity improvement system for reporters, but this is pretty much the last way I would try to do it. Productivity reporting should take no more than 5 minutes per day to produce -- otherwise any gains in productivity that might be achieved through reporting would be negated by the time spent producing the reports...

12. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Bob Slydell: You see, what we're actually trying to do here is, we're trying to get a feel for how people spend their day at work... so, if you would, would you walk us through a typical day, for you?
    Peter Gibbons: Yeah.
    Bob Slydell: Great.

Draft saved Draft deleted