1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sosa hits 600th homer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Release him. Now.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

No team would release a player with 53 RBIs before the break. He may be a fuck, but he's producing.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They could trade him to a contender for some prospects, but Texas' GM has the reverse Midas touch. Everything he touches turns to crap.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

This question was posed to me tonight:

If McGuire isn't geting in, will Sosa make it... 600 HRs or not?

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

McGwire probably makes it in ... eventually. Same with Sosa.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

I agree with Sosa being a better all-around player and have better all-around offenisive numbers. But is ther enough of a steroid backlash to keep both out?
    Is Sammy's sudden lack of the ability to speak English in front of Congress any better or worse than McGwie's not talking about the past?

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

To answer the first question, probably at this moment. In five years, (presumably) long after the Mitchell investigation has come and gone and the dust clears about steroids, maybe the situation will be better for them.

To answer the second question, McGwire and Sosa are one and the same there.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

They are, indeed, one and the same in relation to the Congressional hearings, but McGwire has been villified and Sammy has been given a pass.

And have you noticed how much smaller Sammy is now than when he last wore a Cubbies uniform?

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I see what you mean. I wonder whether it's because McGwire actually owned the record, or because he's eligible for Cooperstown so there's a little more scrutiny on his resume than Sosa's. I tend to go with the latter there.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

So what's he going to do between that first ballot and the one that gets him in to help his cause? Hit more homers?

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I'd like to nominate this for dumbest comment of the year.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I second that notion. And third it.

Draft saved Draft deleted