1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sorry, MLB. I call Bull

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Oct 12, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ya think if the situations were reversed, Fox would let the Mess-Fraudinals move to the afternoon game?

Major League Baseball announced Thursday afternoon that Game 3 between the Tigers and Athletics would start at 4:30 p.m. instead of 8:19 p.m.

The game will be played at Comerica Park.

Major League Baseball said that concerns about the weather Friday night, expected to be cold and wet, prompted the switch from the original start time of 8:19 p.m.

Game 2 of the rain-delayed Mets-Cardinals series will be played at that time. The Tigers game could be moved because the NLCS series provides Fox a game to broadcast in prime time.

Fox also televise the Tigers-A's game.

“Major League Baseball took many factors into consideration in making its decision on Friday’s game times, primarily the weather in both League Championship Series cities. With the weather forecast in Detroit a major concern, MLB felt that moving the game at Comerica Park to 4:30 p.m. provided the best window for the game to be played in its entirety,” said Richard Levin, spokesperson for Major League Baseball.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And you care, why?

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Nope. I refuse to believe MLB would make a decision based on weather more than 24 hours in advance, given how quick the forecast can change.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Just a chance to MLB bash... and I'm all for back-to-back games, but I just dont see MLB taking the Mets out of prime-time because Fox would want it that way...
    Other than that, I got nothin

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I see what slappy's on about. Not that the Mets-Cards will play in prime time. Just that MLB came up with a lame excuse to make it so without out-and-out saying the Mets and Cardinals are a bigger TV draw each by itself than Detroit and Oakland combined.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, for once, the premise is sound by MLB.
    But I think if rain was forecast in NY and was clear in Detroit; they'd play at the same time and hope for the best. They won't take New York out of the prime time picture no matter what....

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh c'mon Slappy it's not like there's been am AL playoff game in New York recently that was threatened by rain and not moved to 4 pm because it made more sense to shake the suckahs in the stands out of some beer and food $$$$ and to try and play the game in prime time.

I mean, really.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

They lied, and they were right to - both to move it and to lie.

& BYH, if I understand you correctly, I've never heard of a night game, let alone a playoff game, being player 4 hours early. How would you feel if you had a ticket & showed up on time? We'd be killing them if they had done that, rightly so.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

You rang?

[​IMG]

Edit: Guy, I should have phrased that better. I'm sure if MLB has made this decision by hooking up to the Doppler 10,000, it could have done the same thing 28 hours in advance of Game Two of Yanks-Tigers last week.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Or the Mets-Cards game on Tuesday, but I don't know that would have helped that one...

But if there is a brght spot, it's playoff baseball from 4-midnight...

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

As it should be. This head-to-head Fox vs. FX crap is just that ...crap.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

When did MLB start doing this? Last year?

I thought it was proven a decade ago that this idea sucked.

Draft saved Draft deleted