1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sorry guys, I just canceled my newspaper subscription

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I had no intention of dropping our subscription but I forgot to renew our subscription last month when the old one ran out. I found the invoice in a stack of bills and was going to call them to take care of it last week.

But before I got a chance to call them - and I was only about a week late in renewing - they called me. I was offered a 25 percent discount and a $10 Visa gift card if I would renew, which I gladly accepted.

I'll have to remember to forget to renew next year I guess.

2. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I don't subscribe to any newspaper, including the one I work for.

This is because all of the coverage and then some is available on the newspapers' Web sites. I prefer the printed version to the online version, I also prefer HD to standard def TV, and I don't pay for that, either.

3. WrongWayStreet

WrongWayStreet New Member

Similar thing happened to me. I forgot to pay and they called. Before I could say "oh, sorry, I'll write the check now and send it" they said they'd waive the $36 I owed them if I would renew at a rate of $13 for 13 weeks. So I'm basically getting paid $23 to get the paper for 13 more weeks...

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Oh, I understand that.

I wish they would include Thursday in the deal.

5. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Seriously? I'm getting fucking screwed if that's the case. I didn't even get it for $50 year when I subscribed at a student rate in college.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Seriously.

I got some kind of promo rate when I moved back into the area in January: six months for $26. When that was over in July, I sent an e-mail asking about my renewal and how much it'd cost, and they said $26 for the rest of the year.

So technically, it's $52 for the year. Who knows if that'll change in January. I hope not.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

I wonder what the numbers would show, but I bet it would be effective for many newspapers to sell their subscriptions for almost no cost at all in order to keep subscription numbers up so that advertising prices can stay up.

Obviously, there are a lot of weekly papers and such that do this.

Draft saved Draft deleted