1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sorry guys, I just canceled my newspaper subscription

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Oct 5, 2009.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

The big local metro here just sent me a bill. It was $150 for the year last year. Now it's $380. (The bill actually said $450, and when I called they said that was a mistake. Oh, I feel better.)

Anyway, I really felt guilty doing it, but it's just insane to raise prices that much for a product that's not even good and expect consumers to just go along. Most of the time I read the stories I cared about online anyway.

No wonder our industry is dying.

I still get the other local paper (the one that's more local to my suburban area).

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

$380 for a year? Good Lord.

I get the Washington Post for $50 a year. That, I can deal with. If the price ever hits triple digits -- much less $380 -- I'm out.

That's terrible.

3. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I don't know what the cost of your daily at the rack is, but you could just buy the damn thing every morning and not spend much more than $380 a year.

Christ. Are they trying to drive subscribers away?

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I get the Courant for $1.25 a week, I think. OF course, "get" would imply I had more than one of the last 7 actually show up at my house.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Don't apologize. I've gone in and out with my local paper for years. I cancel, they offer me a gift card to come back, rinse and repeat. Right now I get the paper only on Thursdays and Sundays for $5 a month, mostly for the convenience of the Thursday grocery circulars and the Sunday ads. I make no apologies considering all the news and sports sections arrive in my Inbox every morning.

6. JackReacher

I'd LOVE to know which paper is trying to charge nearly $400 for a year subscription.

7. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

SF Chronicle.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I get the weekend edition of the major metro in my area for $8 a month. Friday-Saturday-Sunday. The weekday editions of the paper are too empty for me to care about.

I figured buying them off the rack would be about the same price, and it's on my driveway, so it's worth it. Plus, I'm a coupon freak and figure that pays for the paper itself.

9. JackReacher

And how much have you paid per year in the past?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

If the one that lands in my yard every morning was not free I would not subscribe.

Good people work there, some of them, and they are hamstrung by decisions made higher up like at other publications in the country. But it often is boring, old, visually unappealing and due to staff reductions has a lot of wire copy.

If I want all of that I can get it online for free, and if that ever changed I would not pay online either.

$400 a year for a newspaper subscription? Maybe for the New York Times, but nothing else.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I do pretty much the same thing.

It ticks me off that they put the Weekender section in on Thursday, though.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm on the Thursday-Sunday plan. I rarely ever open the Friday or Saturday issues.

Draft saved Draft deleted