1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sorority: No fat chicks, minorities

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Standard college house parties aren't going to take place in a large house, like a frat house. It's hard to be alone at a small house party or in an apartment. And there are real neighbors, not other frat houses or weekend-vacant school buildings, in the area.

I'm not asking to be snarky, but could you expound on what those regulations are?

2. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

We were in a real neighborhood with real neighbors a couple of blocks off campus, so again, a little different than big schools.

... At an actual registered fraternity party, you are supposed to have snacks available. You are supposed to have non-alcoholic drinks available for anyone interested (we always served ours out of a couple of big Gatorade containers). You are not to dispense alcohol from a central supply (i.e. a keg). I think you can give someone a beer if you want, but I do think it's also frowned upon.

A lot of people are shitfaced drunk when they arrive at a fraternity party - the hallowed "pre-party" tradition. Guess who gets the blame? Just like bars who have to deal with the consequences of the guy who comes in at 2:30 a.m., drunk from somewhere else and looking to brawl (that being said, you aren't supposed to let in people who are clearly already overserved. Obviously it does happen. And obviously 20-year-olds aren't exactly trained for the duty).

There should be a list. It should be turned in to IFC at least 48 hours in advance of the party. Someone at the door should be checking the list.

Some of you may roll your eyes at this stuff, but trust me, it's a lot different than it was in the heyday of the '70s, '80s and early '90s. Otherwise, insurance companies just weren't going to insure anyone any more.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Who enforces these regulations? Are there IFC officers at registered parties? Are there non-student adults who check to ensure the rules are being followed?

Pringle, I have no doubt there are chapters that do it right. But there are some who do it really, really wrong.

4. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Typically, you should have a couple of guys on sober party patrol. These guys shouldn't drink a drop - and in every fraternity, there are typically guys who are more that willing and up for it. Either non-drinkers or guys who are mature enough to understand the consequences of something going wrong.

At our school, either someone from IFC or the appointed social chair of another house would stop in.

I don't think the system is inherently wrong. I think it's a great male bonding experience - or female bonding - that you don't get for the rest of your life. My memories of my fraternity aren't necessarily about the parties. It's about days like today, sitting around with the guys all day long and watching the first round of the tournament. Or a surprise 70-degree day in March when everybody could go play some basketball at the nearby park. We didn't even have parties that much because they are such a pain in the ass, and our house wasn't really conducive to it. Out of the two houses that did have them, one was really responsible and ran it like a science, the other was crawling with the kind of predators you describe (probably about 5-10 percent of their house, but enough).

1. Colleges should give the fraternities a certain degree of autonomy, of course, but they should also work with the fraternities and sororities to make sure that they don't embarrass the college/university.

2. Not to come off as blaming the victim, but why do the women continue to show up in droves to the houses that are supposed to be these festering fun houses of rape? You were uncomfortable and left. Good for you. There are 10 more to take your place. At some point, if something untoward or misogynistic is going on, women need to make a stand about it. Not just show up next time for more free alcohol with the hope that they can maneuver their way out of the situation if it gets ugly.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wow, that last bit...I've never gotten to say this on here...Unleash the hounds!

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Yep, it\'s always the woman\'s fault when there\'s a rape.

That attitude right there is why I dispise frats and every thing they represent.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Pringle, just so you know, you didn't "come off" as blaming the victims...you DID blame the victims.

"Why did she go there?"
    "Why did she wear that outfit?"
    Hell, why not, "Why did she dare step out the door that day? If she had only stayed home, she wouldn't have gotten hurt."

Just because a woman puts herself in a situation like that doesn't justify the rapes or assaults that happen. By definition it is pretty much impossible for a rape victim to deserve it.

8. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

So every time you get tips on keeping yourself safe, it's "blaming the victim"?

Or only when it comes from a male?

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You blamed the victim. If you can\'t handle the fact that you did, maybe you should re-evaluate what you believe.

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I have, and I will. If you haven't noticed, I'm very vocal about bad behavior.

But every time I take a stand, this is what I hear:

11. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Oh, spare me the fucking indignance. Why don't you make another post about all the young hunks you're going bar hopping to pick up? That make it so easy to take you seriously?

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Ok boys, thanks for coming to this meeting. I hope you'll remember to put some money in J-Mike's hat when we pass it around. It's for cancer research. Or Lou Gehrig's disease. Wait ... maybe it's for the spring formal. I don't know, just contribute, ok? Also, people need to stop shaving their chest hair in the sink in the second floor bathroom. Not cool, alright? Go out on the balcony like everybody else. Lastly, I think we've all seen the campus newspaper this week, and as usual, it's bullshit. Full of lies. But just to be clear, please remind girls when they come over to the house that it's their responsibility, not yours, to keep them from wandering out of the fraternity's designated RAPE FREE ZONES. I'm serious about this, ok? If you have any questions about which rooms are a RAPE FREE ZONE, don't hesitate to call one of your brothers and ask. If I come home one more time, and I have to park my Jeep four blocks away because there is another Take Back The Night rally on our front lawn, I'm gonna be pissed.

Well, that's about all I've got. Study hard this week, and remember: Beer pong Olympics start tomorrow at 7 p.m. sharp.

Draft saved Draft deleted