1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soriano to Cubs: espn report

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Nov 19, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Maybe it's just the memories of the 2002 Mets barking at me, but it seems these off-season offensive overhauls rarely work out.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

In a nutshell, here it is:
    1. Team looks out in September and sees empty seats in Wrigley.
    2. Team sees beer revenue going bye-bye.
    3. Team shits pants.
    4. Team opens checkbook.

3. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Opening the checkbook is great. Giving one of the richest contracts in the history of the game to a guy like Soriano is not great.

This is about Hendry trying to save his job, which he will lose because he sucks at it.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

C'mon, Doc.... I come on SportsJournalists.com early in the morning and the first thing I see is a suggestion to go do the anatomically impossible?

From one Bears fan to another, I'm hurt.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Hey, I didn't say I agreed with it. The thought of an empty seat at Wrigley just panics the Cubbie brass so much that they're prone to do anything.

7. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I am told by someone who knows him that Piniella wanted Soriano, loves his bat. (But center field?)

And what's making The Tribune Co. start spending when we were all told they were about to sell?

Anyway, I like the deal simply because it makes the division a lot more interesting. Soriano may be lousy in center field but he is going to love hitting in Wrigley.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Sorry, but the Cubs don't worry about empty seats--they operate at about 95% capacity. People don't go to see the Cubs, they go to be at Wrigley.

9. cubs

cubs Member

You have forgotten Jacque Jones as well....who hit .285 last season with 27 hrs
    and
    How come Murton is getting such a bad rap? He hit just under .300 last season...is it because he didnt hit for much power? I am happy with his production at the bottom of the lineup.....

I personally would not mind the cubs bringing back mr. pierre....you cant argue with 58 stolen bases and he held down center field very well. ALthough i do not see him coming back...it would be nice...then soriano plays 2b.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I'm getting a vision of the future....

11. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted