1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sopranos return pushed back, Deadwood over after 3, The Wire still sketchy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Jul 13, 2006.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

You're right. I should have said there "were" strong indications that the season might go on without Paulie and Sil, and as others have mentioned, quite a few other cast members. My bad.

And it appears as if HBO did pay -- quite a damn bit. I think both Paulie and Sil were shooting for $100k per episode and it looks like they're making just under that.

The kids ... Meadow I think you could do without, as far as the storyline goes. AJ, I'm not so sure. Something tells me AJ will factor in pretty big before this is all over.

The Deadwood thing is also very odd. Only three years? And a shortened third season, to boot? Something more going on there.

And Sauronseye/polo/dye, good one. Really stung me there. A Suzanne Somers crack. How will I ever recover from that stinging blow.

Dipshit.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Yeah, not the best dig, but given your propensity to leave yourself wide open for attack, I'm sure there will be a better one in the very near future.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

You need AJ -- although I wonder if the finale gives them an out that Tony's actions getting him the construction job removed AJ from the life.  

Meadow is the more nuanced and interesting role, although I'm not sure where they can go with her.

I think that Tony is heading for a Michael Corleone-like ending in 2.  

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

For starters, "The Sopranos" is not, repeat not, coming back in January. James Gandolfini apparently had knee surgery and that set things back and everybody at HBO took a look at January and how crowded it was going to be and...how about March. That's more likely. Don't act like you're surprised.

>>>>>>

Looks like Jimmy's Roethlisberger on the Ves(h)pa was worse than was let on.

5. Damn, somebody said early on the Sopranos sucked last season and that the actors were bickering over money and that was hamstringing David Chase....The guy who said it was ripped on this board.

It's the same guy who has been telling you that The Wire is the greatest thing television has ever produced.

I talked to a TV critic buddy who watched the first five episodes of season 4 of The Wire. He said it's the best thing he's ever watched. I don't like the idea of putting the shows on demand before airing them. Won't that hurt ratings?

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

It should be on pay demand if it is airing before the ratings date.

Also, how did the contract flexing hurt Chase? Answer: Not a wit.

His ego? That's another matter.

7. dog428

dog428 Active Member

First, nobody ripped you for saying that. You were ripped for repeatedly coming on and saying the same thing.

Second, The Wire, while an absolutely excellent show, is not the best thing ever produced on TV. The Sopranos is. You want to put the first three seasons of The Sopranos against The Wire, be my guest. Both are great shows, but there's really no argument.

Third, how the hell did he only get four? They've been shipping out the entire season to pretty much everybody. And no, the On Demand thing won't make much difference. HBO pays very little attention to the standard ratings system, choosing instead to go with some other system that rates shows in several other categories. They're not selling ads, only product placements, so they could give a shit about the standard ratings system.

EDIT: Just wanted to add one thing about season 4 being released in its entirety. Simon is doing that so critics can see how the season ended and he can't get some help while he's on his campaign for a fifth season.

8. dog,

he got the whole thing (the wire) but he's only had time to watch the first five episodes.

actually: 1. roots; 2. the wire; 3. the shield; 4. sopranos; 5. charlie's angels.

and i was ripped for ripping the sopranos. and i only repeated my criticisms because people kept saying how great it was. it sucked.

9. and hbo does care about the ratings. maybe not as much as the other networks. but every networks cares about ratings.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

There is quite argument.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I would argue that the Wire, if not better, was certainly more ambitious.

Of course, some of that had to do with following the Sopranos.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Hmmmm.... did you just find out from Bristol about viewership for that July 4 fiasco with The Man Who Gets Ripped Second Only To The Dwarf?

Draft saved Draft deleted