1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sons of Anarchy - The Final Season (Season 7)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WCIBN, Sep 10, 2014.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Thought it was funny that Jax is so "outlaw" he made sure that he got new license plates for his dad's bike before his final ride. Ditched the helmet though.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Smits was outstanding this season. And the Chiklis thing just made no sense. Had he been in one scene or the other it would have worked fine, but the coincidence was just silly. Never watched the Shield so I didn't know any of those things, though I did know Chiklis from that. Seems like I might need to watch the Shield, but the couple of times I saw it, it seemed so over-the-top violent, like many of my least-favorite episodes of SOA.

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

He was but they cut downstairs to Tig when Jax really got into it, then when they cut back Chibs is all choked up so we know he "knows" but we don't really know why. That's how I saw it anyway

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was a little lost with the conversation between Chibs and Jax. Wasn't quite sure where it was going other than Jax leaving the club.

And I'll just be glad that I don't have to see Venus anymore and wonder if it's odd for me to be staring at Walton Goggins' huge tits. What a disturbing side story.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

And how many of you have your pre-orders in for the Red Woody soon-to-be-classic "Fat Ass in My Face"?

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I missed the show the first time around. I'd been meaning to watch it on Netflix and finally got around to it and binged seven seasons fairly quickly. I didn't think to look for a thread until after I finished the series today.

I'm still absorbing, but overall I thought the show was well done. I do think it lost a lot when Opie was killed off, but the character's end was outstanding. The end of the show was definitely drawn out with some ridiculous chaos, but the performance by Jimmy Smits certainly helped soften the fall.

I took the end as Jax taking steps to make sure his sons wouldn't follow his path by placing them with people who were out of that life. Killing Gemma served the dual purpose of avenging Tara and protecting Abel and Thomas from their grandmother.

I really wish the Cinema Sins guys were doing Everything Wrong With videos about television shows when this was on, just them have fun with Jax hissing "Jesus Christ" over and over again. I'm sure it stuck out more because I watched the entire series in such a short time, but damn they had him do it a lot.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Nailed it. I stopped watching right around the point where Jimmy Smits came on the scene. The scnenarios were just utterly preposterous. I'm all for suspending disbelief, but certain shows just flag after a while -- the walking dead, for instance, when they went to Terminal -- and I have no reservations about dropping a show, no matter how many years I've watched. "Lost" was a prime example. It became glaringly apparent that the writers were winging it and that certain plot points were just dead ends. I stopped watching, but then watched the series finale and it reinforced everything I'd thought in abandoning it. But the first few years of Sons of Anarchy were terrific.

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Show wasn't as good the last two seasons but Jimmy Smits performance was terrific and worth sticking around/watching the clips on YouTube for.

But yeah the story kind of went to shit.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I couldn't make it past early in the second season. I liked it, but it was already at a point where it felt unbelievable. If there was that much murder and crime going on in a small town, they'd bring in the damned army.

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I recently binged this show. Thought it was good but it definitely lost a little bit in the later seasons.

But I still think the season in which they spent the entire time in Ireland was the worst. Really had to plow through that season. I thought the season following that, when they faced off against Henry Rollins and the white supremacists was one of the best.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I didn't watch this show during the original run, but got hooked on it one night after getting home from work.

Watched the first six seasons in a little over a month, then had to wait until Netflix added Season 7. Loved the show the first time I watched it, but then I rewatched it earlier this year and found quite a few things I didn't like.

The story with Venus couldn't end fast enough, and neither could the Ireland arc. That season dragged on forever, it seemed, and I almost stopped watching.

Still, it's one of my favorite shows. The ending gets me every time.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I liked the ending, too. There were certainly problems with it. They dragged it out too long and the use of Michael Chiklis was distracting, but overall I thought it was a solid ending after an uneven final two seasons.

I also agree that the trip to Ireland was too long.

Draft saved Draft deleted