1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sonics headed to OKC, money headed to Seattle

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WazzuGrad00, Jul 2, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Re: UPDATE: Sonics headed to OKC, money headed to Seattle

Sad

Seattle is (was) a proud NBA franchise.

Jack Sikma and Downtown Freddie Brown weep.

2. RossLT

RossLT Guest

The OKC Carpetbaggers are going to be in for a huge shock. Wait until Kevin Durant leaves when his contract is up. There is no way that he is going to stay there, he will be in one of the huge markets and the Carpetbaggers will be in the same place that the Sonics were in. As far as a new team goes, I bet we never get a team, Stern wants to put teams in Europe and China first (probably Russia, Australia, The Congo, Paraguay) and anywhere else that is not Seattle, which is a city that knows good basketball and supports the team.
    The reason that people didn't go to the games this season is because people knew they were going to leave. Seattle is a hoops city, look at the number of players who have played in the NBA that have ties to the area. Nate Robinson, Brandon Roy, Martell Webster, Spencer Hawes, Rodney Stuckey...there are so many. This is truly a sad day in the history of the city.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Didn't they just refurbish that building from the ground up 10 years ago? Fuck I hate this shit. We need another Great Depression to put a lot of this bullshit in perspective. It's fucking SPORTS. It's not building roads. It's not educating people. It's bullshit entertainment.

4. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

More bashing on the city. Yes the city of OKC, not Clay Bennett, went and stole the team. Let's blame them. Everyone in the city should die. Why don't we just bomb every building like the federal building!? That'll teach those dirty thieves! Seriously, that's how a lot of people are acting with the venom directed at OKC.

As for the free agents leaving, yeah sure. People have a negative (and flat out wrong) stereotype of Oklahoma probably based off the Grapes of Wrath. I doubt any free agents are going to run away, hell the Hornets loved it here. Anytime he's asked Chris Paul goes on and on about how great it was in OKC. Sorry but the stereotype isn't right and NBA players don't exactly hate it here.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I understand your frustration, but I don't know if I'd go so far as wishing another Great Depression. At one point, you had 25 percent unemployment, children starving and hungry people ready to change the U.S. government into a dictatorship if the right man would come along that would guarantee food. And we did just have a disaster at the beginning of this century that gave the American people some pause. What it did, though, is bring people closer to sports as part of the American way of life.

But yeah, I can see why you would be mad. I hate to see the Sonics move. They should have just given him an expansion team. But I know Stern will now want other struggling teams (Memphis?) to be able to use Seattle as a bargaining chip.

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Let's see, so Bennett and his cronies are in for:

$350 million to buy the team
    $30 million to the NBA for a relocation fee
    $75 million, potentially, to Seattle in order to leave

That's close to half a billion dollars, just to have a team in a flailing league in the 49th-largest market in America. That right there is just some brilliant fucking business acumen.

I hope that jackass goes bankrupt. And gets scabies.

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Actually I have been to OKC and I thought it was cool, I was merely stating the fact that Durant is on the verge of becoming one of the biggest stars in the league and he will probably want to play somewhere where he will want a title, which will be a while with the way they are building that team, and he will want to play in a larger market. The bomb comment was a little harsh, I was rereading my post and I don't remember seeing it in there.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That sentence was too wordy. Fixed.

9. Baron Scicluna

Bennett is taking lessons from Sam Zell. ::)

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And will be bailed out when he complains about not enough revenue.

11. Baron Scicluna

Nah, Stern will just have a frozen envelope put in when the next franchise player comes along and tell his refs to give OKC a few extra calls. ;)

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

This just in: Even though Seattle negotiated to keep the Sonics name and colors, Bennett says he's having duplicate championship banners made -- presumably in the new colors -- to hang in the Ford Center. Like the team won them there. I am not making this up.

Classy guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted