1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Songs that should have been hits of the 00's

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dreunc1542, May 30, 2009.

1. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Good thread idea.

Here's a few that come to mind ...

Decemberists, "Los Angeles, I'm Yours"

Drive-By Truckers, "Righteous Path"

Roger Clyne & the Peacemakers, "Americano"

Wilco, "Kamera"

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

"Closer to Love" has started getting a lot of radio airplay in my corner of the world. Great song.

Off topic for the thread, but I am always amazed that Dramarama's "Anything, Anything" was from 1985. It always sounds like it could be mid-90s radio ... or mid 00s radio.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Great point, and so true.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Cadet, you should check out some of Kearney's other stuff. He's a really solid artist. I could send you a cd if you'd like.

PC, have you listened to the first album by the Rescues? It came out last November. They're a group of four singer/songwriters who had never played together before an Atlantic or Capitol record producer (can't remember which one) brought them together to play at his wedding and they meshed right away.

I'd say "Break Me Out" would be their most likely hit:

Oh, and I'd be remiss if I didn't add a song from my favorite cd of 2008. The "'59 Sound" by the Gaslight Anthem:

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I hadn't heard them but I like it - thanks. (And I see they're on eMusic - always a bonus.)

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Don't know what y'all will think of this song, but it would have been huge this decade had this band signed with a big label.
    Stepanian - Call me when you're famous

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I loved Shades Apart. I don't know why that band was never bigger. "Valentine" is one of my favorite songs.

8. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Am a fan of Cross Canadian Ragweed's "17"
    They're a great band to see live -- recommend it if you haven't.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Second on Countdown and Righteous Path, though in the case of the latter, I can't imagine any DBT songs becoming wildly popular with the mainstream. Which is fine by me.

"Starlight" by Muse is my absolute favorite song on the 2000's, and possibly of all-time. Not sure if it qualifies as a song that SHOULD have been a hit, since it peaked at No. 2 on the Billboard Modern Rock chart and gets mainstream snippets here and there (I think it was on the American Idol for that dude from Milwaukee on the episode where they go back to the homes of the final three). So even though it never charted on the Hot 100, it's probably still a hit.

So I submit: "Wake The Sun", The Matches:

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Here's another: The Silver Seas. My favorite is "Ms November," though they're all solid.

http://www.myspace.com/thesilverseas

This is a bad that shot itself in the foot badly -- They were called The Bees, and both of their albums were released as The Bees... but there's a British band called The Bees, so the American Bees became The Bees (US), and then the Silver Seas. Their last album was released in 2006, I think, and then rereleased under the Silver Seas name last year. That's a lot of time to be spinning your wheels and losing your identity.

They were voted the best unsigned band in Nashville a few years ago.

11. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Many songs by Will Hoge, but I'll throw "Better off now that you're gone" in the mix

Guy has the best live show going and nearly died about 10 months ago after being hit by a van while riding his scooter

Train "I wish you would"

Michael Tolcher "Mission Responsible"

Sister Hazel "Your Mistake"

Wideawake "Misunderstood"

Most of these are "under the radar guys/bands" that have much more talent than the crap on radio now. I could go on and on with suggestions for this.

Great thread, thanks.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Totally agree. No reason they shouldn't be a lot bigger than they are, bee mixups notwithstanding. Imaginary Girl made it to a couple of commercials, so I thought it might spark a touch of interest. The whole album is like neo-AM Gold; 70's pop infused with indie sensibilities and a joyfulness rarely seen in modern rock these days. "The Country Life" is what got me hooked on them, and it's still their best song.

Another submission: "In My Head", Your Vegas:

Draft saved Draft deleted