1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Songs That Make You Cry

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Since we've all proven how secure we are in our selves on the movie thread, this seemed like a natural, because I heard one of my primo dustraisers on the radio tonight: Mary Chapin Carpenter's "The Moon and St. Christopher."

To which I would add:
    Four Green Fields.
    Unfaithful Servant (especially the Rock of Ages track)
    Desperadoes Waiting For A Train (Guy Clark)
    Crazy (Patsy Cline)
    Song Is Over (The Who)
    and, one for ESJ
    Bobby Jean.

Have at it.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Ave Maria
    Several other pieces of classical music

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I've long contended that You Were Always On My Mind is the saddest song ever recorded.

But if there's one thing I know, it's sad songs.

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Silver Springs, live version.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Don't Take the Girl -- Tim McGraw. I hate it. It represents everything that sucks about country music, but when he starts singing about praying to God to not take his wife when she's having a baby, I start bawling.

Lightning Crashes does the same damn thing. Maybe I just bawl during songs in childbirth.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Fenian, are Irish standards allowed, or does that take the fun out of it?

7. Faithless

Faithless Member

O Holy Night gets me every time.

8. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Make Believe -- Social Distortion, at least the first time I heard it. So freakin' apt and heartbreaking.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Ave Maria is a great choice, Doc. Love that song from my days in Catholic school.

Whiskey Lullaby by Brad Paisley and Allison Krauss is a great song (wish I had written it), although it came out at the worst possible time for me. But it's one of those songs that makes me dusty, yet I need to listen to it fom time to time.

I'm not sure there's ever been a better song lyric then "He put the bottle to his head and pulled the trigger."

And while it doesn't make me cry, another song that is so depressing it's liberating (if that makes sense) is Long Gone Lonesome Blues by Hank Williams.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

He Stopped Loving Her Today.

Sunday Morning Coming Down.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

So are more than half of the songs named going to be country? Or is it not as bad as I think?

12. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Zeke's avatar just reminded me: Pearl Jam's Come Back.

Draft saved Draft deleted