1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Songs In The Key of Life

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This will probably only appeal to the older segment - I will be pleasantly surprised to be wrong. And, yes, I know we have plenty of music threads. This one is about this specific album.

Anyway, I'm hauling my fat ass around the neighborhood for my steamy hour walk and "Ordinary Pain" comes up on Walkman. Hadn't heard it in a while. It made me think - has a greater work ever been produced than Songs In The Key of Life?
    I'm an admitted Wonder junkie. You Are The Sunshine of My Life is "our" song, was our wedding song. So that's a factor.
    Am I nuts?
    Good gracious he is good and this album is wonderful-ific.

My Walkman must have been stuck in an oldies mode. I got Crosby, Stills and Nash right after and then Dave Mason, the Beatles and Bob Marley.

2. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Stevie Wonder is a musical genius of the highest order, and I will not debate the point. "I wish" is one of my favorite songs of all time, and it's far from his best work. The guy is a gift from the gods.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

1. Completely agree about Stevie. He roolz. And I'm not the older segment. At least, I don't think so.

2. We have to upgrade you to an ipod.

4. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

What he said. "I Was Made to Love Her" is my favorite Stevie song.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The fact that you refer to your music player as "Walkman" instead of MP3 player tells us you are old.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm partial to "Superstition" and "Higher Ground" myself. But yeah.

7. Moderator1

1. You are not and you and the others have renewed my faith in youth.
    2. No thanks. I'm quite happy with my 8 gig Walkman. Hell, boom, Sony calls it a Walkman! The "new" Walkman.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"Sir Duke" is fucking great.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Just an absolute piece of genius. If you ever get the chance to see it, watch the 'Classic Albums' about it. They get plactically everyone that was involved back together to talk about it.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

I saw Stevie at Jazz Fest this year. He was somebody I'd always wanted to see live.

11. Moderator1

Ah, but did he see you? Sorry. Had to get that in before someone else did. I keep thinking of those great SNL skits where Eddie Murphy gave him so much shit. Stevie seemed to have a good sense of humor about it.

12. I'm a Stevie Wonder groupie, and quite proud of it. Songs In The Key of Life no question was a critical and popular success across the board, but in my eyes, it wasn't even his best work of the decade.

Fulfillingness' First Finale is probably the most underrated album of all time. After his near fatal car crash, Stevie went dark for this album, the only time he's ever really done so, and the results are masterful.

Songs like "Too Shy to Say," "Heaven is 10 Zillion Light Years Away," "They Won't Go when I go," and the song that symbolically told Richard Nixon not to let the door hit him where the good Lord split him "You Haven't Done Nothing" just really illustrate his genius. Sure he could write beautiful love songs and amazing inspirational tunes, but Fulfillingness was his "life isn't always perfect" album, and it's definitely my favorite of the bunch.

Draft saved Draft deleted