1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Song-Movie Marriage

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Key, Apr 16, 2016.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Love that one - especially with Huey Lewis telling them they're just too loud.

2. EStreetJoe

"Unchained Melody" - Ghost

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

La Bamba, from the same title

Stayin' Alive from Saturday Night Fever

Neutron Dance and the Heat Is On from Beverly Hills Cop

God Gave Rock and Roll from Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey

My Heart Will Go On, from Titanic

4. EStreetJoe

How we made it three pages before someone mentioned Stayin' Alive or LaBamba is amazing.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Well, I took it for songs that existed before the movies, not those that had been written for a movie. That would exclude Power of Love, Ghostbusters and Danger Zone, for example. Of course they're "married to the movies" - they wouldn't have existed without them.

And to have the song "La Bama" remind me of the movie would mean I had seen the movie. I haven't, and that's the case for a lot on here.

Some, like Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey, I saw once, long ago and only remember for being bad, not because of some song. And others, like I mentioned on "Fly," I've never heard outside of the movie.

Looking at these lists, I clearly have missed a lot in movies. I never heard of a lot of these songs, much less affiliate them with movies. And I haven't even heard of all the movies.

"Pretty Woman" and "Say a Little Prayer" do spring to mind after considerable thought, though.

Fly likes this.
  6. Key

Key Well-Known Member

The parameters are open to interpretation. Other than songs that share a title with a movie, I'm not sure I'd know enough about which songs were written specifically for a movie. I think "In the City" was written for "The Warriors," but I'm not sure. In any event I think of that movie any time I hear "In the City."

Teen Wolf's "Win in the End" ranks up there with Karate Kid's "You're the Best Around" even if I don't think I've heard either outside those movies.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Stand By Me, duh.

Duelin' banjoes - deliverance (it was written 20 years before the movie)

As time goes by - Casablanca (written about 10 years before the movie)

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Samuel Barber "Adagio for Strings" - Platoon

9. EStreetJoe

"Man of Constant Sorrow" -- Oh Brother Where Art Thou?

10. Larry Parrish

Larry Parrish Member

Can't listen to Maxine Nightingale's "Right Back Where We Started From" without thinking of "Slap Shot."

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  11. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Nope, keep thinking.

That was My Best Friend's Wedding

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

No. I meant those two songs remind me of movies. I figured the movies were obvious. Especially since Roy Orbison (different song; different movie) was mentioned in the OP.

Draft saved Draft deleted