1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Something positive during very bad times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tonysoprano, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

1. I would want to go cover the first Olympics. I really do love the Olympic games, it's virtually all I watch when it comes around every two years (a few years ago, I even taped everything that was going on, hockey games and all of the other stuff that happened in Torino while I was away from my TV). There are so many things going on, so many different athletes and whatnot, that I find it really exciting.

2. I've seen a lot of Europe, having been there twice. I want to see my country. If I could, I'd love to start in Boston and drive the entire way down the Eastern Seaboard. I've never been anywhere in the East (the farthest East I've been, aside from airports, is Kentucky, where I live now) and since that's where all of the history of this country started, it seems like an ideal place to start my American education.

3. Favorite restaurant; Vince Lombardi, Michael Jordan and my dad (who would kill me if I didn't bring him along..hahaha.)

2. WScribblySh

WScribblySh Member

1. Jesse Owens, Berlin '36.

2. It's June 1, I've got a convertible, my sticks are in the back seat, gas is 79 cents a gallon and I don't have to be back at work until after July 4.

3. My mother (RIP), her father (RIP) and my daughter, who never met either. Got some catching up to do. And if my girl's picking, we're at a McDonald's with a playplace.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

1966 World Series. The Dodgers came in as defending World Series champions. They had Sandy Koufax, one of the most dominant pitchers in baseball. They had Don Drysdale. They had a pitching staff with one hell of a pedigree. Plus, they had championship chops out the wazoo.

They faced an upstart Baltimore Orioles team with a guy who was ridiculed as being an "old 30" when he was traded there for Milt Pappas.

The Orioles went on to shock the baseball world with a dominating sweep of the Dodgers. After Dave McNally allowed two runs in 2 2/3 innings, the Dodgers wouldn't score again for the rest of the World Series. Twenty-year-old Jim Palmer threw a shutout in his World Series debut. Frank Robinson, coming off the last completely outright Triple Crown (I don't count Carl Yastremski because he was tied with Harmon Killebrew with 44 home runs). Frank won all three categories outright in 1966, proved 30 ain't that old.

This answer changes constantly, but I'll go with traveling to Denmark with my friend in Kansas.

Dinner with three people: Stevie Nicks, Shirley Povich, Gerald Ford.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

1. Ali, Thrilla in Manilla
    2. Egypt
    3. Howard Stern, George Carlin and Ernest Hemingway

5. rebelpaul

rebelpaul New Member

1.) If you could go back and cover any famous athlete, or sporting event, in history what would it be?
    - I'd have to go with the Lakers-Celtics rivalry. I'd love to see how the rivalry grew over the years.

2.) Your ideal road trip. Where would it be? What would you do?
    - Tokyo - A culture that I really appreciate and want to see upfront. From the Sumo Halls to electronics to drift racing, it seems like a place I'd like to see.

3.) You're at your favorite restaurant. You can have dinner with any three people, or elect to go with cigars and scotch with three people. Which would you pick, and who would you choose?
    - Restaurant: Jackie Robinson, Wilt Chamberlain and Hunter S. Thompson

6. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Wow! Great questions.

1- 1980 Lake Placid, greatest upset in the history of the world. I just wish I would have been alive then to see it even on TV.
    2- This is a tough one, but I think that a nice trip across Europe with the Mrs. would be the greatest thing in the world.
    3- There are two here, and both are dinners. For crazy fun, it's Matt Groening, David X. Cohen and John Swartzwelder (If my wife isn't there she'd kill me). For my complete nerdy side, it's Edwin Hubble, Stephen Hawking and Albert Einstein then just sit and listen to the three of them talk about the cosmos.

Draft saved Draft deleted