1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Something I've noticed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, Nov 12, 2009.

  1. Idaho

    Idaho Active Member

    I spent the better part of the last year not reading, posting or visiting this place. It had become, in my mind, a caustic environment filled with morons, idiots and hate.

    A couple of months ago, I returned for no particular reason but have posted only a handful of times - don't have much to say, I guess.

    But I want to say I have noticed a difference in sportsjournalists.com. It seems much more civil - almost like the source of the whiney incivility is gone. It's nice to read discussions where each reply doesn't automatically include insulting someone for no reason other than they disagree on a trivial matter.

    I applauded the creation of the politics board because those 'discussions' were negative influences on the board and I avoided them entirely once the new board was created. Made things a little better. I wouldn't mind if political discussions never came back here. But that's just me.

    But not enough to keep me around as a regular participant in other discussions because, in my view, the venom spilled over.

    Now, however, this place seems almost like the old days when it was a lot of fun to be a part of this family. So, thanks to those who have toned down their act. Thanks to those who have moderated the board and tried to keep things civil. And thanks to those of you I've become friends with (even if only virtual friends) over the past several years.

    I kinda like the 'new' civil SportsJournalists.com
     
  2. Moderator1

    Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

    Thanks. So do we.
    We're still not perfect but I like this ol' joint, too.
     
  3. Fly

    Fly Well-Known Member

    Good call Mr. Idaho.

    I also applaud the mods for their great work. I formerly did that with a sports-specific board for a couple years. I had to walk away because it became a full-time job that I couldn't handle any more. So I feel that pain and appreciate the fine work you all do.
     
  4. Moderator1

    Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

    Your check is in the mail.

    Shit, 95 percent of the time it is a breeze. The other 5 percent? Yeah, I wanna choke a bitch. But I'll pay that price because SJ has been way way way way more good to me than bad.
     
  5. Double J

    Double J Active Member

    Just like beizbol been berry berry good to you? ;)
     
  6. The Big Ragu

    The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

    Ides, I am glad you are back. Wish you participated more.
     
  7. Bubbler

    Bubbler Active Member

    That's the point I've been making for the last few months, Idaho. There seems to be a lot less of the mob rules, group-think mentality where a poster is automatically attacked for what a bunch of people think they are.

    Well ... most of the time anyway. :)
     
  8. Ace

    Ace Well-Known Member

    I agree with Bubbler. I always agree with Bubbler.

    Good to see you back, 'ho.
     
  9. CentralIllinoisan

    CentralIllinoisan Active Member

    Welcome back, sir. As someone who considers himself a rational member of this board, I applaud your break and, of course, your inevitable return to our little corner of the cyber world.

    Any civil, open-minded poster is a friend of mine. Even you Idaho. ;)

    You in the Secret Santa this year? I could use some gold-foil-wrapped potatoes :D
     
  10. Buck

    Buck Well-Known Member

    I had biscuits and gravy for breakfast.
     
  11. Fly

    Fly Well-Known Member

    And a housecall from Dr. Uma :D
     
  12. dooley_womack1

    dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

    Holy shit, yes.
     
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page