1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Something I couldn't do when I was in newspapers"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Stitch, Jan 15, 2011.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yeah I can add this to the list, this year for Christmas I got a gift from my boss, and a small gift from two of the vendors I work with regularly. A third vendor got me a Pizza Hut Gift Card, another vendor got me a Fossil watch because we bought like 200 of them for a gift to our business partners.

Another company my business works with regularly paid for my tickets to a hockey game and paid for all of my food. They are buying our business and I really don't care because the beer and steak I got was delicious.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Getting to games early and leaving late was always a perk as far as I was concerned. You avoid the traffic both times, and there was always something kind of cool about sitting in the open-air press box at night in an empty stadium, the lights still on and the cleaning crew the only sound. Would finish my work and not want to leave sometimes.

3. I think we work at the same place.

4. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Ignore recruiting.

5. You don't have to be out of newspapers to stay sober.

6. I'll never tell

But it IS a helluva lot easier.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Ah . . . a very underrated annoyance.

Good call.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

In my case, I work at a call center for a bank. I have previous call center experience, so that helped me get in despite having no prior banking experience.

I still have to use some of the skills that served me in journalism during my current job. I have to ask open- and closed-ended questions to get to the bottom of what customers are looking for and use investigative skills to get to the bottom of different issues.

The biggest difference in my mind is the feeling of being appreciated by my boss, and getting tangible and intangible rewards for my work. Having a manager whom I know has my back makes an enormous difference.

I thought I'd miss journalism a lot more than I do. I'm not saying there aren't things I miss about my newspaper days, but I'm not feeling that burning desire to get back in for anything more than occasional freelance work.

9. Wouldn't know. Never been anything but sober.

10. I'll never tell

11. accguy

accguy Member

Ignore recruiting. I like that one.

That might be better than weekends off.

12. What does that mean?

Draft saved Draft deleted