1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Someone's going to get killed in my kids' high school parking lot

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WolvEagle, Sep 29, 2009.

1. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

I've been driving my kids to and from their high school this year. It's rarely a problem in the morning, but in the afternoon, I just want to get my kids and I the hell out of there safely.

In the last few days, a kid was driving a minivan with the front passenger door open, two boys jumped on the back bumper of a Jeep and held onto the roof, kids ran after moving cars to get a ride and someone tried passing me as I was driving.

I feel like sending the principal an e-mail asking that he designate a "No Dumbass" zone in the lot so I (and other seemingly responsible parents) can get out of there safely. If those other kids want to be stupid, that's their damned problem. Makes me feel really good about the future of our town (not).

I'm not about to let my kids walk, and the district won't bus them, even though it's three miles away and to get there you've got to cross a six-lane divided state highway and a six-lane divided county road, then walk through an intersection where two lanes can turn left. Until the time change, it's dark before school.

This is the same school where, about five years ago, two carloads of kids were screwing around right after they left the lot and were on the main road. Less than a mile from the school, one car sideswiped the other, and the second car went into oncoming traffic, where it hit a third car head-on. A guy in the third car was killed.

I covered the preliminary examination and watched the student get bound over to county circuit court for trial.

They're kids, so they'll never learn. Now I know why my parents wouldn't let me drive until the final three days of my senior year.

Thanks for letting me vent.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Does the parking lot not have a security guard/ rent-a-cop. Mine always did. He was the athletic director.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You could try throwing peanuts at them.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Oh, the humanity

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

If they're going to be THAT stupid, maybe natural selection SHOULD take over.

6. mb

mb Active Member

Unfortunately, natural selection has a nasty habit of taking more than just the dumbasses.

7. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

We did this thing called gravel-skiing when I was in high school. You'd drive out to a gravel road, tie a length of rope around the trailer hitch, and try to remain upright as the vehicle pulled you behind it.

A few years after I graduated a kid was killed doing this except he was trying to show off by doing it on asphalt. Darwinism!

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Yeah, I thought about that.

9. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

One of the few reasons to be happy my high school (of 1,600+) didn't have a parking lot.

In all seriousness, I'd definitely write a letter to the principal if you're that concerned. Might not change anything, but he can't claim stupidity if something happens.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Keeping in mind that this is the digital age... Why not go down there one day and film all the stupid shenanigans that are taking place? Then, upload to YouTube and spread to the school committee or local news station, and the problem might get fixed very, very quickly. Nothing like a little shame to promote some change.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

It's a miracle half of us didn't die when we were teenagers. I know I did some incredibly dumb shit.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I was a really, really boring teenager.

Early 20s, on the other hand...

Draft saved Draft deleted