1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Someone stole my garbage

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I put my trash out on the curb before bed last night, like I always do. When I came out to go to work this morning, though, there was a bag missing. It hadn't been picked up by the garbage truck -- I had set out another small bag and a box, and neither was disturbed; no one else's garbage seemed to be gone, either. And I didn't see it in the road or scattered everywhere, so it wasn't blown around by the wind or ripped open by an animal. It was just gone.
    I'm certain there were no bills or anything in the bag (everything is either shredded or saved), so I assume the risk of identity theft is low. This is creeping me out, though. It almost seems like we were singled out. And who the fuck steals a bag of trash, anyway?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Homeland Security is investigating you.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Have you seen Chris Hanson lately?

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

One man's garbage is another man's treasure.

5. Overrated

Overrated Guest

They want a sample of your DNA to frame with a heinous crime.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Seriously, though, this is why you should shred documents containing personal info before you trash them. It might be an attempt to cash in on identity theft, and if so you probably weren't the only one targeted.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I shred all documents - including envelopes that have my name and address printed on them - and toss them in with the recycling.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Dude, I welcome anyone to steal my identity. Good luck getting a credit card, looser!

9. joe

joe Active Member

I woke up this morning to the sound of someone digging through my recycling bag of bottles and cans to get the aluminum. Said person then got into a vehicle that was still running, and I'm thinking, with gas as high as it is, how can it be cost-effective to drive around town looking for aluminum to recycle?

Anyway, next time I'm separating the cans and bottles. Might as well make it easy for them and let me stay asleep.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Put them in a grocery bag. We like it better that way.

11. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

My alley rats prefer that, too. Of course, I'm the bitchy that buries them deepest into the big recycling bin so that it's not worth their time and effort. Maybe I should leave them apart and start attaching job applications to them.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Are you calling me an alley rat?

Draft saved Draft deleted