1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Someone explain motorcycles to me

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sirvaliantbrown, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

If the children can't get along, both will get a vacation.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

That better, Webby?

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Looks like MegaWeapon from MST3K.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I always think it looks like a Transformer. Probably a Decepticon --- it looks like it's scowling. There's storage space in the area in front of the headlights, too. For a sportswriter on assignment, that's handy. Still expensive.

Another bike of note: Suzuki's 650 V-Strom.

[​IMG]

Luggage available:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Flip, I grew up around motorcycles. One of my best friends works at a dealership.

I understand the "loud pipes saves lives" but that still doesn't explain doing it at a red light in a residential neighborhood.

6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

No, that doesn't explain gunning your engine in a residential neighborhood, or anywhere for that matter. That's not something I do nor do I enjoy it when others do it. Most bikes are just naturally loud, no gunning needed.

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

again, i have nothing to do with this

8. One more question. What does "RR" stand for?

As in 300RR?

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I don't know shit about motorcycles, but since this thread is as good as any, I did enjoy watching MotoGP today at Indy until Hurricane Ike laid its smack down.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

Marketing shit. The Honda CBR600F4i (orignially named the Hurricane, sport bike, 600cc, 4th generation, fuel injected) was joined and then replaced by the CBR600RR, which is more of a performance bike than an all-rounder like the F4i (which, if you can find one as leftover-new or lightly used, is still a very good sportbike).

Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki have different sportbike models for performance and all-round use in the 600 class. Honda didn't see the sense in that.

Another suggestion: Yamaha FZ6R. New bike, aimed at newer riders who want something both sporty-looking and comfortable, slots in under the FZ6 (which is based on the mad-crazy YZF-R6 sport bike).

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

2mcm, what do you know about the Urals? I was looking at one at a dealership a couple of weeks ago. I like the sidecar idea for camping and fishing trips.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

Nothing, so I googled.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=2251&Page=1
    <blockquote>However, few will disagree that the Ural sidecar outfit must be a hot contender for the top slot in motorcycling mediocrity. This BMW inspired flat twin is outstandingly one of the worst motorcycles ever put into series production - a creation of such comprehensive awfulness, in every respect, that it almost defies belief that even one example has ever been sold in the West. ...

However, ride an Ural and you can still experience living proof of why the Soviet Union collapsed. The twin cylinder boxer engine produces an insipid 33 bhp - but feels less. Top speed is claimed to be 65mph but you would have to be receiving sympathetic psychiatric care to even consider riding the thing at this speed.

The four speed - and reverse - gearbox clonks and crashes like Irania the war heroine engaging the drive on her T34 tank, whilst the brakes provide little more than token retardation. In short, no part of the motorcycle functions in anything like a reasonable manner.

Strangely, it is not the mediocre performance, or appalling reliability, which takes the Ural to the very top of the worst motorcycle ever chart. Rather, it is the militant lack of care with which the bikes are built. Brackets don't fit, welds would disgrace a 16 year old in his first week at Tech College and electrical wires dangle anywhere and everywhere. Paint looks as if it has been applied by a loose bowelled pigeon's bottom. This is not a question of an old design or poor equipment, but more the ultimate manifestation of the couldn't-care-less culture. ...

Not unlike ritual public castration, bubonic plague and burning at the stake for reading a bible translated into English, riding an Ural is an unforgettable experience which every motorcyclist should try once. Then, go home and be deeply thankful that Japan never became a Soviet colony.</blockquote>
    So there you go. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted