1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Someone else volunteering you to do something

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Then send an email back saying that you appreciate the opportunity, and want to spread your knowledge around the company, therefore, you would be more than happy to help him learn the system.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I nominate smallpotatoes to write the kickball column.

3. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I wouldn't like it, either. But I've done plenty of things I didn't like because I need my paycheck to pay for my eating and paying the mortgage habits.

4. Baron Scicluna

I can see where he's coming from, because it was a co-worker and not a boss who was nominating him. The secret is, though is to put it back on the other guy in a diplomatic way, rather than look like a petty slacker.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

But it was sp's reaction that gave that guy the power to do that. Had sp spoken up, said "No, I'm not comfortable with it" then he would have had just as much right. But he shut up, took it, then went all psycho in his head about how unfair it is when really he just failed to assert himself.

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Put a bowl underneath your Neon's transmissiony thingy. Once the bowl is filled with enough drops of green goo, put it on your coworker's desk. THAT will teach him.

7. Baron Scicluna

Except we don't know what kind of culture his newsroom has. A "No" email may have made him look really bad in front of his bosses. The whole, "he's not a team player" thing with them.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

"No" isn't necessarily the right response.

"I'll be glad to help and do my part, but I'm not fully comfortable yet with this CMS system we're using. If someone could help me and Volunteer Slim learn this together so we can know it better, it will make things easier for us."

If you need training, help, a refresher, ask for it AND add your co-worker into the mix. If he's going to dump on your ass, drag him right back into it. If he declines then he looks like a non-team player.

Think, taters. Your Neon had green goo. Your brain doesn't. Use your brain and strategize so you don't get shit on by your co-workers.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

In the last CMS I worked in, shoving icepicks into one's skull was more preferable than building photo galleries.

That's all I got.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I don't drive a Neon anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted