1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Someone convince me to get a Kindle (or some such device)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I think it really does come down a personal preference for which one people like best. Usually, a person will like whichever one they get. So here's hoping that you get one!

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

The BF always says that buying me the nook for Christmas was the best and worst thing he has ever bought me. Best because it keeps me out of his hair (like has has any hair for me to get into anyway!) and worst because all I ever want to do in bed anymore is read.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Don't spill your Nobilo on it!

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Woke up this morning with a blue package and some excited kids. Unwrapped and for my birthday my wife bought me a ... Nook. It's charging now, can't wait to get started on it :)

5. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Congrats, Flex! You will love it.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I can't emphasize enough the ease in getting books.

You hear about a book you think you might want ... you go to Amazon and download the first 8-10 pages for free.

You have it in about 20 seconds.

Then read those 8-10 pages ... decide you want to read the book ... buy it right then and there.

And you have it in about 20 seconds.

It's so user-friendly, it's absolutely obscene.

7. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I agree, jr. I remember the first time i bought a book while lying in bed after reading a sample. it really is so fast and easy.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I think the song goes CLICK CLICK BOOM - who knew?
    Amazon is now doing a Kindle Deal of the Day. I'm going to go broke.

So crossthreading a bit. When I, uh, well, my friend (yeah, that's it) had to use the handicap stall the other day, he went to the Kindle app on his new Droid and started reading a book. When he got home and went to that same book on his Kindle, it took him straight to where he'd left off.

HOW does it KNOW!??

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

They're also doing the 100 on sale each month thing they do with MP3 albums, which is good. My only real beef with the Kindle is the prices for the books, so anything to knock that down a bit is good. (They had a sale a couple of months ago and I discovered one of the best books I've read in a while - "Ghosts of Belfast" by Stuart Neville, which is still $3.99.)

10. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I'm on Nook, but I've seen "Deep Passion in the Desert" for $0.99...lol

Haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet...looking at a USA Today subscription, maybe a mag or two and getting itchy to purchase the newest from Conn Iggulden.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Does anyone use Google Books or iBooks?

12. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Here's my question: If I'm considering an e-reader, but also considering a tablet for other purposes, should I just buy the tablet and let it be my reader, or are the readers (Nook or Kindle) so superior to an Ipad or other such device that I should consider them separate purchases?

Draft saved Draft deleted