1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Someone convince me to get a Kindle (or some such device)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Jul 21, 2011.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

From what I've read, about 3,500 books seems to be the number that they are saying for the new versions. You also can delete books off the unit when you're done with them. I don't know if you can transfer them to a computer and save them that way for later, but it wouldn't surprise me if you could.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Wife, myself, daughter all have Kindles. We all love them. Yeah, they hold about 3,500 books. We have not figured out how to delete off them. I buy one, they have access to them and can load them up if they want (for free). My daughter is about to move to Honduras and she is taking 1,000 books. In one small package.

3. Illino

Illino Member

You can, but I don't know of a way to look at them on a computer, because Kindle documents are in an oddball format. I looked for a converted a while back, but I couldn't find one that worked.

But, you can store a book on your computer and then manually put it back on the Kindle at a later date if you wanted to read it again.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

If you really wanted to delete items, you hold the little cursor button to the left (or right, can't remember now) and it asks if you want to delete a specific item.

I use that awesome Collections function instead, made a group of 'Already Read' books, 'Books to Read,' 'Samples,' etc. Keeps it all a lot neater.

5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

funny...bottom of this page now has an ad for the Nook.

I'm hearing that Kindle is the best option...but I may look into the Nook because I'm a magazine junkie, too.

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Thanks for that info, 21. I had no idea about the collections option, and scrolling through the pages listing the books on my Kindle was getting irritating.

BTW, it's left-cursor to bring up the menu where you can delete a book, and right-cursor to bring up the menu to move it to a collection.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

OK, I'll ask:

I wouldn't use a Kindle much for books, which I horrifyingly don't read enough of. So if I'm NOT going to read actual books, but more newspapers and websites, am I better off with another tablet?

Also, are any of the mainstream tablets as good as Kindle in terms of screen glare? My Android G2 phone is essentially worthless if I'm trying to see the screen on the golf course or whatever (although I wish I wasn't checking work email on the golf course).

8. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

Bought a Kindle about 6 months ago and love it. Read 12 books on it so far. You can find a lot of books on the internet for free, if that's your thing*.

*not advocating that

9. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

Put me in the group that loves the Kindle. I got one for Christmas last year and use it a ton.

Probably my favorite function is that you can download a sample of any book for free. I use it to test out books I may want to purchase later. You can also try samples of newspapers and magazines for a few weeks or a month. Canceling subscriptions is easy when you log into your Amazon account. You don't have to call an 800 number and jump through a bunch of hoops like with other trials.

I also have a bit of a problem with the price of books. Most are in the $12.99 range, which seems a little steep for an electronic version. There are some pretty cheap ones if you look hard (I think I got Water for Elephants at $5). Some of the new releases might be lower because the publisher wants to inflate sales numbers.

I'm not in love with how newspapers are displayed. Some (Wall Street Journal) are pretty slick. But others don't convert as easy and are kind of cumbersome to use.

I've probably read twice as many books with the Kindle as I would have without one. It's great for discovering new books and for using when you travel.

10. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

The built-in dictionary is my favorite feature

11. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

So you can do the mags and newspapers with a Kindle...just to confirm

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Yes, mags and newspapers and blogs and games. Go to Amazon and look at the Kindle store, you can see everything they offer.

Draft saved Draft deleted