1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some sports scribe loves "My Boys"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shifty Squid, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

With all the board's quasi-interest in this show, I thought some people on here would want to read this column ...

http://www.newsok.com/article/2985018/

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Oh Jenni: "Who among us doesn't enjoy a good schlep, after all?"
    Exactly, who among doesn't enjoy a good schlep. Or steak and schlep day or casual, no-strings attached schlep, which, by the way, is a lie. They always say no-strings, but you got strings, you always get strings.
    Anyway, I love me some schlep and it is good to see that Jenni likes a good schlep as well.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Vicki Michaelis nails it: "Honestly, they focused so much on her romantic pursuits that there wasn't time to portray the sportswriter side of her. We in the business, of course, know the opposite to be true. Usually you're so busy being a sportswriter, you have no time for romantic pursuits.”

4. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Exactly. I watched two eps a couple of weeks ago and didn't see her set foot in a ballpark or clubhouse once. Maybe she has in other eps, but not the ones I saw. She seemed to have an awful lot of free time for a beat writer, female or male.

5. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

What? No ripping the column?
    I'm ashamed of you people. You're slipping. :)

I guess the first clue was having to search the archives to determine whether or not she had ever written about her job and her gender. Perhaps the second was her pick for favorite movie ever.

My boss brought up my writing something about that show vis-a-vis me, an offer I laughingly declined as way, way, WAY too lame.

I guess we need to do a Nexis search to find out how many women sportswriters actually got roped into doing it.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm watching this episode and I'm wondering, when exactly do they sports write?

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

We should address the real issue: Spelling 'Jenni' with an 'i.'

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

A 10-second clip of them in the Cubs' locker room is their idea of sportswriting. Neat. Sign me up.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

'Tis the season to be nice? Sorry, ballscribe, must be all the sugar we've been consuming lately. ;) And yeah, I have a funny feeling I would have had to have write that story if I was still with my former employer.

10. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Seriously, how long has she been at The Oklahoman? It feels like I've been seeing her name in print my whole life.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

My God. I saw the last 20 minutes or so of last night's episode, and it's the first one I've seen where they've actually tried to work some of the business into the show. (I didn't see the first one). Cripes. She has a friend set up an interview with a Cubs player for her. If she's the Cubs beat writer, shouldn't she get that interview herself? And if she's the Cubs beat writer, shouldn't she not get all that excited about being on the front page of the sports section (since, as a Cubs beat writer, you'd probably be there four or five times a week)? It was embarrassing to watch.

She's hot and all, but the show itself is so bad at times that it's funny.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'm hooked. :-[ It's a blatant ripoff of Sex and the City (but with male friends).. and it fills that Sex/City void for me.

I find the lead actress engaging. The 'Troutie' character is hilarious -- he's what turned the show from 'okay' to 'I'll keep watching.'

As for the-- "THAT'S NOT WHAT SPORTSWRITING IS LIKE"-- complaints...

Now you see the problem I had with Sports Night. A show you all thought was frickin' brilliant.

It's distracting, isn't it?

Draft saved Draft deleted