1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some people just don't get it.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, May 17, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

If you think Don Imus has some decision problems, check out Lastings Milledge.
    Milledge, rehabbing in Triple A ball for the New York Mets, has a rap song that frequently uses the N-word, and calls women the B-word and "ho's" in a song titled "Bend Ya Knees".

"He's lost his mind," City Councilman Leroy Comrie (D-Queens) told the New York Daily News. "I don't understand how he could, in the spirit of Jackie Robinson, put out music that's so vile, using some of the worst words in music."

Milledge is the CEO of Soul-ja Boi records and performs with rapper Manny D.

A rightfielder drafted by the Mets with the 12th overall pick in the 2003 amateur draft, Milledge hasn't exactly had the kind of past that has anyone rooting for him. He was expelled in 2003 from Northside Christian School in St. Petersburg, Fla., for having sex with a 15-year-old. Last year, he didn't exactly endear himself to teammates by his actions, which included high-fiving with fans after hitting a home run.

But this latest act could be the final straw.

"We disapprove of the content, language and message of this recording, which does not represent the views of the New York Mets," the team said in a statement.

Milledge wouldn't talk about his recording career to the New York Daily News when asked, saying he wanted to instead concentrate on his baseball career.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Fuck Comrie, that grandstanding fool. What the fuck does that sentence mean? What makes him think anything Milledge wrote was "in the spirit of Jackie Robinson?" What the fuck does Jackie Robinson have to do with Lastings Millege other than a similar skin pigment and occupation?

I don't even know why he would be quoted in a story about a baseball player writing a rap song, much less be the first person quoted in said story.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

4. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Ummmmm ... Same thing's on the Sports and News channel.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Priceless, BBAM

6. boots

boots New Member

I'm not hip to the acronyms. Please translate

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

What he said:

8. boots

boots New Member

how about translating so that the message won't be misunderstood. Thanks in advance.

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Did you bother to click on the link?

10. boots

boots New Member

I have to say no. I did not see the link.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Of course you didn't.
    Go back to making up stories about women you think your hand is.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

d_b is "code" here for deeper background, who has a habit of posting "news" that is old.
    So whenever someone posts something that is being discussed elsewhere, it's called a d_b.
    BBAM called it a d_bootsie, earning him many points!

Draft saved Draft deleted