1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some more DMN stuff

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

45 editors
    34 writers + other help

No wonder DMN is circling the drain.

Too many chiefs and not enough Native Americans.

But let me guess which of the group gets cut.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The second that was created was the time folks should have gotten their resumes circulating.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

A six page sports section in the DMN is absolutely fucking criminal. I don't care if it's the all-star break or not.

4. standman

standman Member

Yes it is a sad time in Dallas.

Think about Sunday when the Los Angeles Times had a breakdown of the courtroom testimony alleging Lance Armstrong used performance enhancing drugs. It would be one thing if the testimony took place in LA. But this took place in a Dallas court house about a mile away from the DMN. How much enterprise would it have taken (courts reporter, projects guy) to get that testimony? The story broke a few weeks ago and included the fact that the testimony took place in Dallas. I understand Armstrong is a world figure, but Armstrong grew up in a Dallas suburb.

I stopped taking the paper this week because it is no longer special. The paper used to have an occasional surprise. It used to have enterprise. It used to entertain. But I figured it's not worth taking the paper when I can get the same coverage AP provides to any number of online sources.

The paper used to be special because a DMN reporter would be at Wimbledon, the Masters, a Notre Dame-USC or a Michigan-Ohio State football game that determined the national title. Once it stops doing that, the paper will only be living on its reputation. Not earning it.

5. oldfart

oldfart Member

Let's see. 100 or so getting laid off in Dallas, 80 getting axed in Riverside and Belo stock reaching a level where it's about as valuable as Quilted Northern. Think there could be some correlation?

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Nah. You just don't understand how bizness and Wall Street work.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

That's bidness in Texas.

8. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

It was confidential mediation testimony, not courtroom testimony. You still have a point, but it wasn't as easy as walking down the block and pulling some files.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I wonder how many of the fuckwits who were cooking the subscription numbers have lost their jobs.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Well, Wednesday's section was eight pages. That's still unacceptable for a market the size of DFW, but the big test is to see how the space fares when the regular fall sports restart.

11. standman

standman Member

Bill Monday: Fair enough. It's good to know you agree with the basic premise.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've got a feeling the DMN sports section of the very near future is going to look a lot like the paper's GuideLive section (or last year's football sections).

Lots of capsules, quick hits, cutout photos, maybe a few columns or features to anchor the package, and generally a lot of flash-flash and bling-bling and little substance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.