1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some Indians Fans Wore Red-face to the Wild Card Game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

No, that was just my observation as a fan of the team. I think Wahoo will remain on the sleeves until the baby boomers are gone. That nostalgia (as misplaced as it is) for Wahoo will be gone at that point. But they'll take him off the cap and batting helmets completely in the near future, I predict. The stadium really is devoid of Wahoo now. The Script I logo failed miserably. The Block C gave fans my age a solid logo and a cap to wear that wasn't racist. Finally.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

They had a few chances to retire Wahoo.
    The C was on the cap through the '80s.
    I don't know why Wahoo was brought back.
    They had a chance to get rid of Wahoo a few years ago with the partial uniform change, and failed.

3. Good links and discussion above.

I think one of the fears is that if they kill off Chief Wahoo, the "Indians" nickname will be the next to go.

I do think "Tribe" is a good compromise because that's what most of the fans call the team anyway, and there are a variety of historic 'C' logos that will work.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I will always go "Wahoo!" over the Seinfeld scene.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DV16ECAAACM

Heap big fun!

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

"If I were the owner of the team and I knew that the name of my team, even if they've had a storied history, that was offending a sizable group of people, I'd think about changing it,”

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Blackhawks are named after a guy, not a name for a race though. So the only offending Chicago is doing is maybe offending the ancestors of Chief Black Hawk?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted