1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

some help with a slingbox

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by proudpittsburgher, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Needed some help from some of the techies out there. As my username implies, I am a Pittsburgh sports fan who recently dumped DirecTV and Sunday Ticket for financial reasons. Spent last season at a bar, but can't spend any more time away from the family on Sunday's, so I was looking into the slingbox. I understand the basic principals of the device . . . basically it takes over a TV in a remote location, and streams it to your computer elsewhere. That part I know . . . For the part I am fuzzy on . . . I have a mom who still lives in Pittsburgh, and I wanted to hook up a box on one of her rarely used TVs in another room that is hooked up to a cable box. It is in a different room than her router, which also has to be hooked up to the box to transmit out. So, what do I need to know about this. How do I hook it up to the router and to a cable box in another room. And what else do i need to know. Google searches have only gotten me so far. I need to bring in the big guns on this one, SJ nation.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have one hooked up via a wired ethernet connection (I wired my whole apartment and put an ethernet jack behind the TV).

Your best bet for good streaming video is going to be a wired ethernet connection instead wireless (with perhaps the exception of a killer Wireless N router), because it's 100 megabits per second with an ethernet connection versus 54 megabits per second with Wireless G. But if that isn't an option, you can use a wireless Ethernet bridge you will have to purchase separately or a wireless gaming adapter. The bridge would then be linked wirelessly to your mom's router and you would plug it in via an ethernet cable to the Slingbox. Over an internet connection, streaming that way may be a little sluggish. I don't know for sure, though.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

If that doesn't work, you could try your luck with channelsurfing.net.

4. patchs

patchs Active Member

This is what you want.
    http://www.slingbox.com/go/slt
    I have one, I used to use it when one of my DirecTV boxes was in a different room than my router.
    Now that they're in the same room, I use it to hook my other DTV box up to the Net so I can use On Demand.
    Basically, it uses the house's electrical wiring as a ethernet network.

Draft saved Draft deleted