1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some good news, for a change

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gomer, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

After the past year or so spent worrying about losing staff, losing staff, then worrying about more complaints from readers and getting more complaints from readers, I'm finally seeing some light at the end of the tunnel in my neck of the world.

We hired back a part-time photographer, are getting new camera equipment for our photographers and the sports department, cut down to two from a previous staff of three, is gaining a part-time freelancer.

Is it what it was? No. But there's a bounce-back happening as a result of the decreased content our readers saw after the cuts. Management is listening to them. I'm grateful for that.

I fear we'll be in the minority, but there's such little good news out there for our industry that I thought I'd share it.

2. bob

bob Member

I've heard that advertising is picking up somewhat at my place. Of course, I haven't heard about re-hires or restoring pay cuts.

3. I think the most amazing part of that is that management is istening to those who complain that quality is down. It means your shop still cares about the product. Cudos to them, it taint dat way in other shops.

Draft saved Draft deleted