1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some breath of fresh air

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mystery_Meat, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

So here I am, doing my normal Sunday night block of work in preparation for my deadline day Monday and dealing with my usual "what am I doing here, has my career jumped the shark, what do I do now" angst when I decide I need a breath of fresh air.

I walk outside and down the street to where my car is parked. And by "is", I mean "was". As in it's been stolen. Shattered glass, tailight pieces and a couple of broken-off sideview mirrors on the ground and what appear to be wet tire streaks leaving my spot.

Called the police, but since it's my mom's van, they have to talk to her, and they're not even going to come by the scene of the crime. Nevertheless, I'm going to be up all night just in case they swing by.

I guess I have more pressing concerns than my stupid tailspinning career tonight.

Knew I should have gone to the stupid watermelon festival today, then this might not have happened. But I really hate watermelon ...

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Damn, that sucks. Sorry, MM.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Damn, that sucks, Meat. I'd make a fail joke right now, but it doesn't seem appropriate.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

GodDAMN, Meat, talk about a run of bad luck...

Let me know if there's anything I can do.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I thought this was going to be a funny thread.
    That sucks Meat. Hope everything works out.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Didn't you just wreck your Jeep?

My God, you are having a bad run of luck, MM. I hope things get better.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Four months, almost to the day, from the accident.

There's not much I can do right now. The police have the information and they'll look for it, but outside that, it's a waiting game. The van itself is pretty old, and the insurance value will be more than what my mom paid for it. I think I have some fairly new clothes in the back of the van (I had gotten back from visiting family a few days ago), and my brand new XM receiver is in evil hands now, so I'll have to cancel that shortly, but I'm fortunate in that there's little else to lose tangiably. The laptops are at home, and I don't think there's any money or anything supremely important in there.

Why they'd steal a mid-90's Aerostar of all the cars on that street is beyond my comprehension, but what can you do?

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Bunch of savages.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Fresh air? Would it have been different if you were going outside for a smoke?

Hope things pick up for you ...

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

UPDATE

Apparently my car was NOT stolen. It was hit by a driver on the street where it was parked, and it was subsequently towed to the city impound lot. Even though the police was apparently unaware of it until I called the tow company directly.

Problem 1: I have no idea in what condition the car is. They couldn't/wouldn't tell me, other than that I (my mom, since it's her van technically) can pick it up, so it wasn't stolen and used to hit other cars.

Problem 2: The police told my mom that if I found the car before they did and I tried to drive it, and they found me, they would pull me at gunpoint. Assumably if I tell them that the city's tow company impounded the car, they would drop it as a stolen car. But assumably they would have been notified that their tow people had the car in the first place, and clearly they were not.

So one question answered, a bunch more asked.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Jeebus. At least that's maybe good news? Kind of?

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Unless you were parked illegally, why would they tow the car instead of running the plate number and contacting the owner?
    Dumb fuck cops.

Draft saved Draft deleted