1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Solomon's final column on the WWL

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tyler durden 71351, Mar 29, 2007.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

That was how I perceived it.

2. MonitorLizard

MonitorLizard Member

No Gammons, either, unless I missed it. Maybe Solomon wasn't an Insider.

3. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Actually he picked up and "left" because he was only assigned to the position for a set amount of time.

As quoted in his first column:

"I hope to carry that spirit and professionalism into <b>my 18-month tour at ESPN</b>, during which I'll be looking at the television and radio networks."

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

Inane ramblings, a nice way of saying BSing. Also, wonder why he never called Dikta?

5. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

What do you care!!?! [/ditka]

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Sounds like he read the SportsJournalists.com thread on the "Kobe is better than MJ" column . . . . . .

And I thought "Boo-yah!" at the end was a shot at the idiocy that ESPN has helped create, where many sportscasters believe a major part of quality anchoring is having a ready-made catch phrase, like "Boom goes the Dynamite!"

Or it was in lieu of "F$#% you."

7. Or maybe it was a harmless little bit of quirky humor.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You knew, from the moment he arrived, his best column would be his last one.

He could have written this a year ago, and it would have been his last column, too.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

So, so true.

It was like the final fusilade of a fireworks display. After that, there ain't no mo'.

10. silentbob

silentbob Member

Amen. I worked at a newspaper several years ago where offering a different opinion or idea wasn't only ignored, it possibly got you demoted. Over time, the top editors would throw out something during budget meetings, and everyone else would fall all over themselves to see who could be first to compliment the boss on his/her latest moment of brilliance. It felt like we were serving egos instead of readership.

I agree with Frank: This type of management is reflected in the product. The best managers in any business are those challenged by those under and around them.

11. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Frank, Bob:

Great points. In that case, Geo. Solomon was an "om-beards-man."

12. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

The comment about the intensity of coverage of the Yankees and Red Sox made me laugh, because I just got done putting the TV listings on the page and tomorrow we get the season openers of _ yep _ the Yankees and Red Sox.

Draft saved Draft deleted