1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Solid Crouse Angle On Bears/ Saints

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boom_70, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I've bean hard on her for soft coverage of the Jets, but leading into Sundays NFC Championship, Karen has a solid story on game in today's NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/19/sports/football/19chicago.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Really? That was OK, but the guy's a Chicago native who happens to own a New Orleans-themed eatery that basically caters to tourists. So what, that he's rooting for the Bears? Isn't that expected? And good for business?

3. Brain of J

Brain of J Member

Wow a one-source story in the NY Times.....
    If a few Saints players are regulars why not talk to them?
    The restaurant could have horrible food for all we know, what do other people who eat there think of it?
    And why did she choose this restaurant? Because the owner guy is from Chicago?
    I thought it was written well, but I think there's some holes she could've easily filled.

4. Cousin Jeffrey

Bears players eat there. It's in Chicago.

5. Cousin Jeffrey

6. Brain of J

Brain of J Member

It is.
    Maybe if I read the Dateline eh?

7. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The NYT has done this kind of local color piece for as long as I've been reading the newspaper, which would be since 1973. I believe even Red Smith did some.

10. Brain of J

Brain of J Member

I like the idea, the more color in the NYT the better, I like Wall Street Journal color pieces too. But if you're going to do it, do a little more than find a Cajun restaurant and talk to the owner. The senators' story is much better, I agree.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Or send Bill Grimes to do the food angle and let Karen talk to Tank Johnson's arms dealer.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Frank is right. They love scene-setters.
    People don't read The (NY) Times for statistical breakdowns, Xs and O's bullshit.

Draft saved Draft deleted