1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soliciting Opinons on Turning 40

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Jun 11, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The colonoscopy prep is 1,000 times worse than the procedure itself.

2. patchs

patchs Active Member

Gets me out of work so I'm not complaining too much.
    So I buy 64 ozs. of Gatorade, some ducolax, mix and BOOM!

3. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

You nailed that, 21. My (much younger) husband dropped by after my 25th high-school reunion, when I was dining with a bunch of former classmates, just to pose (he brought an even younger stud friend with him, just for show) :D

When we got home, he said (and he's not in the habit of feeding my ego with bullshit): I can't believe you're the same age as some of those old bags. It's like they've given up and are waiting for the grandchildren.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I've never been able to figure out what divides the pack...why some women truly become more beautiful and erotic with age, and others look ten years older than they really are. Is it confidence? Genetics? Paranoia? Vanity? A great guy who makes it worthwhile?

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

this post is useless without photos.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You first.

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

And the alternative is worse yet. Just got back from the doc, found out the polyp they removed last week was precancerous.

I'm 38. (Yes, with a family history, including a cousin who died in his mid-40s when his colon cancer got into the liver before they found it.)

What does that mean? I get to go back for another round in two years instead of five; other than that, I'm okay. But if I'd let that little sucker grow for another year or two? I'm not liking those mental pictures.

So if there's even a question, get it done.
    (Oh, and the drugs are AMAZING. :D)

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think it is simply a matter of caring... The other day I was at the gym and covered in sweat from running on a treadmill. I was stretching. A woman who I am guessing was in her mid 40s, maybe older, was stretching next to me. She was hot. I mean, really hot. At first glance, I think a lot of people would guess she is in her early 30s. I only realized she was more mature than that when I took a closer look--lines around the eyes, things like that. Total gym body. This woman was in phenomenal shape. She was not dressed up for the gym, the way a lot of women annoyingly do it, but her haircut and her appearance showed that she cared. It helped that she had a beautiful face, but it was mostly that she cared to keep herself in great shape and take pride in her appearance. We were stretching really close to each other in a tight area and kept making eye contact and smiling at each other. I was thinking after I left about how giddy I had been to flirt with a woman who very well may have been pushing 50.

9. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

I'm a competitive tennis player, and I'll submit this, for what it's worth.
    I can't think of a single one of my fellow serious players who looks anywhere close to her age, even though we've all spent out fair share of too much time in the sun (especially before we all got smart with sunscreen).

There's an attitude, a way of walking when you feel good about yourself, healthy, that has to help. Although I don't think you can ever stop, 'cause you lose it fast.

You can see some of the ladies in the over-70s, and many of them still rock. They don't hold it together as well as the guys their age do overall. But perhaps our generation, one that played sports all its life rather than when after the kids were off to school, can do something about that.

The other thing is that most of us spend virtually no time at all with makeup on. I'm convinced that a lifetime of that stuff (esp. ugggh, foundation) kills your skin.

One of my training partners is more than 20 years older than me. She's 64, has legs like a 25-year-old. And from a distance, you'd think she's 30; cute as a button with a perky rack to go with it (sorry to be so graphic). Younger guys still hit on her.

She plays more than I do, runs, does Pilates. I just hope to be breathing at her age, never mind running mountains.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

11. patchs

patchs Active Member

My odometer just clicked 40.000.
    Man, those 30s flew right by.
    Just won $25 on a scratch off lottery ticket I got with a b-day card, this could be a good day.

Draft saved Draft deleted