1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soldiers of Islam successfully mount attack against latest foe

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Dec 4, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The three r's: Readin, 'riting, retribution

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

They opened the schools back up in Thailand today, and you're never gonna guess what happened. Unless you guessed more killings.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061204/wl_asia_afp/thailandsouthunrest
    Five more dead as some schools reopen in Thai south

YALA, Thailand (AFP) - Five people have been killed by suspected Islamic separatists in Thailand's deep south, as some schools reopened for the first time in a week after a wave of arson and bombings.

A 32-year-old Muslim man and his three-year-old daughter were killed after a shooting in Yala province, apparently because insurgents believed he was a government informant, police said Monday. The father died at the scene and the girl died later in hospital.

Two others were killed in neighboring Pattani province -- a 51-year-old rubber tapper was shot in a drive-by and a policeman was shot while guarding a branch of the Thai Military Bank, police said.

In Narathiwat province, a 44-year-old Muslim woman was also killed in a drive-by shooting as she left a morning market, police added.

The killings came as authorities reopened some schools in the volatile region along the southern border with Malaysia for the first time in a week.

"We don't have exact figures on how many schools reopened today, but most schools in seven districts of Pattani are open," Boonsom Thongsriplai, chairman of the regional teachers' federation, said.

Nearly 1,000 schools in Narathiwat, Pattani and Yala were closed all last week after a wave of attacks in which militants torched and bombed school buildings and killed teachers across the region.

The government said it had boosted security around the schools, but many remained closed after an elementary school principal was killed and two more schools were torched over the weekend.

Violence has intensified in the past month despite moves by Thailand's post-coup government to forge peace in the region.

Military-installed Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont on Monday met with top security officials in Bangkok about the escalating unrest, but insisted on sticking to his policy of reconciliation.

Government spokesman Yongyuth Mayalarp said the army had redeployed forces in the region to cope with the unrest, but did not say how many troops were there.

"The prime minister reiterated that his peaceful approach is on the right track and will continue with his policy," Yongyuth said.

Human Rights Watch has accused the insurgents of "terrorizing" the local population with their attacks on schools.

It urged an end to attacks on civilians, who account for most of the more than 1,700 people killed in the three years of unrest.

The area was an independent sultanate until it was annexed by mainly Buddhist Thailand in 1902. Separatist violence has erupted periodically ever since.

The unrest has been variously blamed on ethnic Malay separatists, Islamic extremists and criminal gangs.

The Thai cabinet last week approved the lifting of martial law -- installed after the September coup -- across half of the country, but not in the insurgency-torn region.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

This should make you happy, poin, Muslims killing Muslims...

A 32-year-old Muslim man and his three-year-old daughter were killed after a shooting in Yala province,

Isn't that your idea of Nirvana?

4. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Just in case anyone wasn't sure before clicking on this thread, yes, it is true. There are Islamic extremists in the world who do horribly bad things to innocent people, just as their brethren from other religions have done throughout history.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

So compared with prior human history, this isn't a historic anomoly?

In our lifetime, say 1950 thru today, is there a parallel situation involving non-muslim aggressors, one in which the constant use of innocent, even random, civilian targets is the predominate tactic?

6. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Um, no? Which part of my post isn't showing up on my screen, where I say that there is? How about instead of getting your huff-and-puff-and-blow-your-liberal-house-down on, you read the post and not just the name of the poster. My point is that Islamic extremists are bad people, just as extremists in other religions are bad people as well. So either poindexter is stating the brutally obvious, or he's subtly trying to suggest that all Islamists are looking to pop teachers in third-world countries. Don't feel like you have to come to the defense of every xenophobic angle taken here, just because it falls in lockstep with the worst demons of your particular political stance.

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

maybe we should start a poll on this thread: islamist extremists can be evil, yes or no.

i vote yes

8. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Hmmmmmm........

Yeah, after some personal deliberation and soul searching, I'm going to second leo, and vote yes as well.

9. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

That's what he's trying to do. He's already called me a car bomber. So all that "I've never said anything racist, check my posts" is all bull.
    I ask everyone, including poin, to watch these vids from youtube before having an opinion about Muslims. If you don't want to see them, that's fine. I just want to get the truth about Islam out there. Please watch all of them because each one has a lesson.

(I really like this one)

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

There appear to be a lot more extremists in the this religion than others. Not to let any of the other religions off the hook. ALL religions blow, IMO. All of them. Based on fairy tales supposedly written centuries ago. Noah's Ark with 2 animals for 40 days and 40 nights. Rules about not touching women on their period. Or eating shellfish is a sin.

But killing in the name of Islamic extremists is off the frigging hook. Every frigging day. Thailand. France. Iraq. Afghanistan. Pakistan. Violence. Killing. Kids six years old playing with their "toy guns". Somalia. Isreal. Honor Killings. Chad. Sudan. Beheadings. Louisville. India.

The violence is horrific.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

The difference is that the extremists in other religions have determined that violence isn't going to help them get their way. They have gone the political route. They elect those that are politically appeasing to them.

Most of the Muslim extremists are using what they think are the most effective means to an end. It is also barbaric and backward. However, some of the extremist Muslim states are just that as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted