1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soldier held by Taliban released

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by three_bags_full, May 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

There's already some talk about him being a deserter. He walked away from his unit and several of his army brothers were killed in the search for him.

There's also this tweet that was allegedly sent from the father's account last night (since taken down).

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That talk has been around for a while.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/is-sgt-bowe-bergdahl-a-hero-or-a-deserter/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Boom_70

Bowie's father is a pro wrestler. His wrestling name is Daniel Bryan who is the current WWE Champion.

[​IMG]

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I do hope the media refrains from giving him the knee jerk "hero" treatment. Because he ain't one.

Sounds like he fell into this predicament only because he was a screw up who went AWOL, which cost other innocent men their lives, put his govt in an ugly position where it was forced to bargain a shitty embarrassing deal with terrorists, potentially putting many others at future risk.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Prisoner exchanges have taken during wars going back thousands of years. But you are absolutely correct that he does not deserve hero treatment after going AWOL.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Jake Tapper:

Fellow soldiers call Bowe Bergdahl a deserter, not a hero

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/01/us/bergdahl-deserter-or-hero/index.html

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The father, Bob Bergdahl, seems to be eliminating goodwill faster than Nancy Kerrigan at Walt Disney World. Now he's tweeting about trying to get other Guantanamo Bay prisoners freed.

If the time is always right to do the right thing, why wasn't this done before the 2012 election? Instead, we have a weekend full of distraction. Shinseki quits, Carney quits (and, at the right time, I might add, given this weekend) and, on a Saturday afternoon, the President lets a dad praise Allah while announcing that his deserter son is coming home -- and we later find out it's for five Taliban.

Tomorrow will be fun. :)

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

YES!
    YES!
    YES!
    YES!
    YES!
    YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So what are going to have to give Mexico to get back that Marine who made a wrong turn?

Guessing Obama will start with everything south of Interstate 10.

10. YankeeFan

Hagel, visiting troops in Afghanistan, was met with silence when he told a group of them in a Bagram Air Field hangar: "This is a happy day. We got one of our own back."

goo.gl/N4YEle

11. YankeeFan

It was June 30, 2009, and I was in the city of Sharana, the capitol of Paktika province in Afghanistan. As I stepped out of a decrepit office building into a perfect sunny day, a member of my team started talking into his radio. “Say that again,” he said. “There’s an American soldier missing?”

There was. His name was Private First Class Bowe Bergdahl, the only prisoner of war in the Afghan theater of operations. His release from Taliban custody on May 31 marks the end of a nearly five-year-old story for the soldiers of his unit, the 1st Battalion, 501st Parachute Infantry Regiment. I served in the same battalion in Afghanistan and participated in the attempts to retrieve him throughout the summer of 2009. After we redeployed, every member of my brigade combat team received an order that we were not allowed to discuss what happened to Bergdahl for fear of endangering him. He is safe, and now it is time to speak the truth.

And that the truth is: Bergdahl was a deserter, and soldiers from his own unit died trying to track him down.

http://thebea.st/1pzhjGD

12. Boom_70

Boy this has the possibility of getting real ugly. Ironic how Susan
    Rice was trotted out again on the Sunday news shows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.