1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Softball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Jun 1, 2007.

1. And both pitchers tossed both games?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

It would appear that way, write-brained

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

After rereading it, you're right...
    The MSHSL is not without precedent of making teams comeback the following day to finish a contest. And at first glance, that's what I thought it was.
    But the story is inaccurate; at best (or worst) misleading

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Yeah, that was a bit of sensationalizing (sp?). I couldn't figure out what they were talking about until I finished most of the story.

It would be fine if it was just over two days. But two games? Negative.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Plus, there is a score in the hed and cutline, 5-4, that does not appear anywhere in the story.

Bad, bad job by the Strib.

6. Aren't there rules about how many consecutive games/innings a pitcher can throw? I'm pretty sure we were limited on my high school teams (I didn't pitch) and you would think softball would have something similar.

Someone needs to ask the coaches some tough questions about how they use their pitchers to get to the championship game ... sure, it's softball but it still needs to be scrutinized ...

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

An area member can correct me if I'm wrong, but I also think McAuliffe is a regional newsie, not a sports guy. If so, that might not help the confusion

And as far as I know Write, softball is unmonitored... throw until you cant throw no mo...

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yeah, I've never heard of limitations on softball pitchers.

Lots of teams only have one pitcher, and even more have only one pitcher who is worth a damn.

9. chazp

chazp Active Member

Deceptive lead. One 19-inning game and one 16-inning game. At first I thought it was one 35-inning game.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Softball pitchers don't develop arm issues as much as baseball pitchers. They do stuff to their backs instead. Different motion, different muscles.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Speaking of softball, with this Tennessee vs. Arizona game on, I was trying to figure out why I'm digging this Tennessee pitcher. Is it the braids? A little. The baseball pants they wear? Doesn't hurt. But she's also 6-3. That's what does it for me I think.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

So you want a girl who can kick your ass? Interesting . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted