1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Socks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Someone joked on another thread about my "unnatural obsession with clothes." I guess. :)

Men, what is your sock philosophy? I will absolutely, positively not wear white athletic socks anywhere but the gym, and even then I favor black or gray. Actually, I won't wear socks at all with shorts (except for exercise or mowing the lawn).

What do I wear? A mix between argyll and plain black, gray, or navy dress socks with dress pants. Love the argyll, but can't do it every day. Striped socks or argyll with jeans. Or else heavier duty blue socks. But typically I like a splash of color.

I very, very, very rarely ever wear khakis, but I have a couple of tan socks and a pair of tan argylls to wear with those.

Any favored brands?

2. Dick Whitman

Not black dress socks. Black athletic socks. Just like white ones, but black.

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

For some reason, I truly thought this was going to be about the Beverly Cleary book from my childhood.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I rarely wear white socks. But when I'm officiating volleyball, it's part of the uniform: navy blue slacks, white shirt, socks and shoes. DORKY.

The thing to remember is to try and match the pants and socks, or at least come close. Dark pants = dark socks.

I do like a bit of pattern on mine, but not too much argyle.
    When golfing, it's no show or ankle. Otherwise, with shorts, I mainly wear flip flopa, which I know opens a whole other stream of discussion.

5. Dick Whitman

Exactly. Though, like I said, I'll occasionally throw in a WTF pair of colored socks or pattern just to keep people guessing. In casual settings, I mean.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

This thread is useless without Frank Ridgeway.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If you can, try to get some socks that the NFL players wear. They are fantastic to wear in the winter around the house.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

[​IMG]

You rang?

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I'm all for a WTF pair,DW, but it's such an eyesore to see someone like david letterman do it every night.

Of course, given some of the socks I have to wear to call sports, I can't really talk.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I had a Little League teammate who wore the worst black socks under his red stirrups.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My kids won't wear anything but those ankle-length athletic socks, preferable two-color patterns.

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I don't own anything but white socks. People who wear colored socks are from Satan. And if you wear them at the gym? Probably a Dick ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted