1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Social media sexual harassment

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Oct 12, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Interesting piece in The Atlantic.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/10/the-unsafety-net-how-social-media-turned-against-women/381261/

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I don't normally comment in the Journalism Thread as one of the non-journos here but this was interesting timing as I've spent the last little while noticing that one by one, the women who were active participants on SJ have drifted away.

I don't know if most men are aware how misogynistic this site frequently is and this place is mild compared to most.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

I agree- have observed male posters making women posters uncomfortable here.
    Back in the "glory days."
    YouTube is the Hell of the online commentariat, but at least there you know what you're in for.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah, the other day someone asked if a woman with brain cancer was a 6.

That was a low point for this board.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I'm proud to say that I asked that. The low point for this board is when it started developing
    a bit of political correctness.

Hell day in and day out the SI Etra newsletter must make women uncomfortable with their
    play on words "Hot Clicks" and Swim Suit Extra. Here is a link to Fridays Swim Suit extra
    featuring outtakes of Samantha Hoops.

http://www.si.com/swim-daily/2014/10/10/samantha-hoopes-outtakes-or-the-crazy-things-we-made-her-wear?xid=nl_siextra

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The Random Images thread is an abomination.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Calling BS on this one. Just a few weeks back one of the long time female members of
    SJ was harassing an obviously weight challenged Chris L

8. PioneerVoice

PioneerVoice Member

You're right. Because Sports Illustrated does something misogynistic, we all should follow suit. That logic always works.

As does this new rhetoric of attacking "political correctness" every time one is asked to adopt basic human decency.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Well, at least you spelled 6 right.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

The height of humor is wishing a person would perish in a blaze of fire.

Draft saved Draft deleted