1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soccer terminology in stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Oct 2, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Worked with an intern earlier this year, who was a soccer geek. And no matter how often I told him to dumb it down and start writing for readers instead of coaches, he kept writing way overthe readers heads. I hated him.

2. Scouter

Scouter Member

It doesn't matter what you say, BBAM. Nobody reads your stories. :p

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

you're the one who made the initial remark:

"If we want to become a soccer country we have to start appreciating its language. Gotta start somewhere."

is that not being a cheerleader/advocate for the sport?

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Bob Ryan, for one, has never hidden the fact that he is a fan -- that is, a cheerleader/advocate -- of both the NBA and MLB. There is no ethical quandary about a journalist writing to bring in new readers -- and the best way to bring in new readers is if they are fans and enjoying the games. If you don't enjoy what you do, what's the point?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You can;t write over their heads on something as simple as a high school soccer story... period

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Asshat United's Joe Poop was cautioned in the 86th minute.

FC Dingleberry's Josh Bumleg was sent off in the 72nd minute.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

fuckin Dingleberrys....

8. I'm a sports writer and I didn't know the term "bookings."
    Write "booked for two yellows and a red" and I think it's fine.
    Otherwise, you're losing too many readers.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

In the typical terminology, a booking is a yellow card. You wouldn't say "booked for a yellow card;" you would simply say, "he was booked" or he "received a booking."

A red card is typically described as a sending-off; the recipient is said to have been sent off.

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

My dad was born in Europe, was a huge soccer fan and I played it starting when I was very young. I never heard him or anyone else use the word booked. Just my two cents.

11. joe king

joe king Active Member

I had no clue what booked or booking meant. I say keep the jargon to a minimum -- and not only in soccer stories.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

If Jack Lord ran the copy desk ..

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted