1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soccer scoring question ....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Oct 30, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

If they were in goal, they must have been picking flowers or fiddling with their instruments or something. Holy crow.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Well...there could have been 20 rounds of kicks. You never know. :)

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

There better have been. Because it looks as if I could have gotten one past the keeper, and I haven't kicked a soccer ball since I was 8.

4. I saw a girl's hs varsity game go 18 pks until it was over. It wasn't all makes or misses, but the home team matched each time, before winning at the end. D***ned exciting. Loser missed the playoffs. And I have routinely seen playoff games go 7-8-9 kicks deep.

5. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

I don't think penalty kicks is the right term. Shouldn't it be called a shootout instead?

6. Depends on the format used. In Texas, hs games are decided by a shootout, in which the shooter gets the ball 35 yards out and has 5 seconds to get off a shot.

Under FIFA (and college) rules, if a tie has to be broken, they use the standard penalty kicks, although they're called "kicks from the mark" because nobody was penalized.

Under High School Federation rules, the score is usually reported as Team Kickers 2, Team Other 1 (SO), to show that it was decided by tiebreaking format. And it's a win, not a tie. But HS and college rules are not FIFA rules, thus the confusion.

On a related note, when two halves of overtime are played, we often have to remind writers and editors that it's not double overtime. HS and college use that format also.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I think in high school - at least the state I live in - a shootout winner is given the deciding goal, so if the shootout is won 4-3 after a 1-1 tie, the official score is recorded at 2-1, PKs.

In college, pro, etc., I believe the score is officially recorded as a tie.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

When a soccer game is played, there is no winner.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It's tough to argue with that.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

fixed.

Draft saved Draft deleted