1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soccer question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigpern23, Nov 7, 2006.

1. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

So I asked the local SID, who asked his people and so on up the ladder.

This was the question posed to them:
    Player throws the ball in, toward the goal.
    Ball goes off the goalkeeper's hands into the goal.
    Obviously it's a goal, because it touched somebody.
    According to the NCAA, is it an own goal or does the player throwing the ball in get credited with the goal?

The answer, finally, from C. Cliff McCrath, Secretary-Rules Editor, NCAA Men's and Women's Soccer Rules Committee:
    In as much as a throw-in counts as a goal - IF IT TOUCHES ANOTHER PLAYER (it is not possible to score on a throw-in if no one touches the ball) - the rule applies and the player throwing the ball receives credit if all other factors (set forth in your example) are in place.

Note (from me, not Cliff), obviously if the throw-in wasn't heading toward the goal and gets redirected into the net by the goalie or a defender, it's an own goal. But in this case, at least from the NCAA scoring purposes, if the ball was on goal and it goes off a defender/keeper into the net, the thrower gets credited.
    No idea what the FIFA ruling is. I'll let somebody else track that down.

2. KP

KP Active Member

Based on the replay Jay got, does the NCAA even award own goals? Or is along the lines hockey or hoop?

3. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Yeah, they award own goals. Here's an example:

http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/stats/2006-2007/nc17.html

4. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

Yes, they do own goals.
    If you look at the definitions on page 1, if the ball is redirected by the goalie or defender into the goal, it's an own goal. If it's a shot on goal (or in this debate, a throw-in) and it happens to go off a goalie/defender, it's credited to the shooter/thrower.

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

the reason the flip throw in hasn't really been developed is most clubs leagues and state associations banned the practice when concern of undue injury to the thrower was considered.

there was a guy in savannah, ga., that used to do it until it was banned. awesome thing to see when I was playing.

Draft saved Draft deleted