1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soccer question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigpern23, Nov 7, 2006.

1. KP

KP Active Member

OG all the way. If the defender makes no contact it wouldn't have been a goal, the defender causes the goal = own goal.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I've never liked the "own goal" designation. One of the few things I don't care for in soccer. To me, it should be either the person who struck it (as in hockey) or the person closest to being involved in the play (as in basketball).

3. KP

KP Active Member

Even better is how it is scored in the official game report.
    2002 World Cup USA v Portugal
    http://2002.fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/02/en/t/m/mr/16.html

Goals Scored:
    O BRIEN John (USA) 4' , JORGE COSTA (POR) 30' own goal , MC BRIDE Brian (USA) 36' , BETO (POR) 39' , AGOOS Jeff (USA) 71' own goal

Can you imagine the uproar you'd hear if you put in a box score that little Jhonny or Suzi struck for an OG.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I still don't get how doing a flip helps you throw it farther (don't you get to run before you throw it in?) and I cannot imagine how anyone could do that and throw it accurately. But as I said before, I know nothing about soccer, so I'll take your word for it. Just looks and sounds weird.

Carry on.

5. KP

KP Active Member

Flip throws generate a lot more torque allowing the thrower to throw it harder and therefore farther.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Thing is, da man, you must have both feet on the ground and both hands on the ball for a throw-in. As a result, this is the ideal way to get the most momentum behind a two-handed, overhead throw, much more than you can with a run-up where you must essentially come to a stop to throw it.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I'm leaning toward the thrower getting credit.

Consider this: If it was an indirect kick, that glanced off the wall and in the net, would you credit the player taking the kick?

NCAA rule C is the closest example (simply because the throw in must be considered a pass).

8. KP

KP Active Member

If you remove the wall that the indirect deflects off of and have it go in the net, is it a goal? No. Own goal.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The flip throw? Holy crap, I've never seen it in my life, but it sounds awesome.

Must be the Aughts equivalent of the basketball jump shot in the 1950s, the jump-stop in the late 70s, the intentional foul of the early 80s or the falling-out-of-bounds time out of the 90s.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I saw it as early as 1976, from a high school kid in central Pennsylvania. Another reason I'm surprised more haven't developed it. Yes, I know it takes gymnastics skills; that's a good point.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

If the above is an own goal, then the inverse is a goal.

Credit the attacking team's player who was throwing the ball in.

12. KP

KP Active Member

It's not the inverse though. That's a throw from a defender back to his keeper. The ref ruled it went in off the keeper, therefore, own goal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/2262629.stm

And an interview with now former Aston Villa manager Graham Taylor (manager to England team that lost to the US), go to 45 seconds of the clip. If the keeper hadn't touched it, even that wouldn't have been a goal.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/audio/38259000/rm/_38259132_graham_taylor.ram (you can get this audio link from the linked gamer)

Draft saved Draft deleted