1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So you're a funny man!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GermanKeyser, Jan 15, 2011.

1. "First I've heard of this."

2. beanpole

beanpole Member

In a wicked argument with a girlfriend, she nailed me with (and I'm paraphrasing): "You don't have a life. You just write about people who do."

We ended up breaking up (it was college), but she's still one of my best friends.

3. GermanKeyser

GermanKeyser Member

Damn. That's rough.

4. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

He read it on the Internet, so not only must it be true, but reading it also made him a qualified expert.
    I would have responded with, "And where do you work?" When he mentions the name of his company, I would shake my head and say, "Yeah, our business reporter was telling me about some of the crap going on there. Hopefully the layoffs won't be as bad as they're saying."
    Actually I probably wouldn't do that, but it would be fun to do.

5. beanpole

beanpole Member

Yep. Definitely a low point for me, which is why it still stings 20+ years later. She plays rough in arguments.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I like that. Or, "They still have companies like that? Wow." *

* Can be tailored to the specific business the guy is in.

7. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

I and my colleagues accepted that years ago and moved on.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Come to think of it, it's been a while since anyone said "Oh, you just want to get in the girls locker room" when I mention I'm covering volleyball/girls basketball/whatever. Some time I want to tell them "I have ... after someone checks to make sure they're all dressed."

Draft saved Draft deleted