1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So you're a funny man!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GermanKeyser, Jan 15, 2011.

1. GermanKeyser

GermanKeyser Member

I was interviewing a big-time source for a story the other day, and as soon as I sat down in his office he says to me, jokingly, "So, did you ever think about getting a real job?"

It caught me off guard at the time, and I wish I had something witty to come back with.

What are some other journalism put downs you've heard over the years?

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

As a small-town Alaska preps guy, I heard: "So how are you gonna spin this against Sarah?"

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

A woman called up one time to complain because we hadn't covered a prep game in which her daughter played. I explained to her that a.) it was a busy week and we had a lot to cover and b.) we were short-handed that week because one of my writers was on vacation.

"I don't know why you would need to take a vacation," she said. "Your job isn't that hard."

5. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Along the lines of what JB wrote, I went to see my doctor because I've been feeling terrible, having chest pains, dizzy spells, etc. Anyway, I have very high blood pressure, so he runs the gamut of tests (blood, x-ray, stress test) and they all come back fine. He says "It's weird because your stress test is fine, your blood work is good, x-rays and ultrasound looked fine, but your blood pressure is abnormally high." So I say "Well, my job is pretty stressful at times, so that could be a big factor." And he responds, with a straight face, "How stressful can your job be? You go to a football game, watch it and then write about it."

Of course, after I explained tight deadlines, plus working desk most nights, I think he understood. He apparently also did his homework, because my next visit, he apologized and said "I looked it up and working at a newspaper is considered one of the worst jobs in terms of stress."

6. Despite the momentary snafu, that sounds like a damn good doctor, to actually research something like that. Nice recovery.

7. highlander

highlander Member

Your blood pressure problem isn't funny. But the end result of the story is.

8. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Keyser, you shoulda asked him "What do you have in mind?"

9. Someone recently told me they wished they had my job because I get to see "all the pretty girls." I cover high school and college sports.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Repoter: "Joe, what was your college major, basket-weaving?"

Joe Namath: "Nah man, I majored in journalism. It was easier."

11. YankeessSuck

YankeessSuck Member

Took my kid to the playground to meet a friend of his. The kid's dad was there with him. Never met the guy before. He asks me what I do for a living and I tell him I work for the Podunk Times. He pauses and says 'Wow, they still print newspapers?'

Just like you Keyser, the comment took me off guard. I gave a polite laugh and he then lectured me for 10 minutes on how the newspaper business is dying and my days in the newspaper biz are numbered. First time meeting this guy and that's how he starts the conversation. Geez.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would have come back with, "What kind of position are you offering?"

I actually don't hear many putdowns of the profession, though I get a lot of "Do you still work at the Podunk Press?" with the implication that the Podunk Press is struggling and shedding jobs.

Draft saved Draft deleted